Author Topic: William and Elizabeth Evans 1868 Liverpool  (Read 4657 times)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Elizabeth Evans 1868 Liverpool
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for my ancestor William Evans born 1813 Runcorn, he was a Mariner. He married Elizabeth Quirk in 1868 in Liverpool after which I have no trace of them. I wonder if they emigrated to USA, Canada or New Zealand. Any suggestions how to research them or help to find them would be so very welcome.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William and Elizabeth Evans 1868 Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Here is the marriage so we now know Elizabeth was born around 1847 but that William was a great deal older than her

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNML-GBR

Do you have any info about Elizabeth?  Where was she born?  Did they have any children etc etc?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW
Thanks so much for your speedy reply. Yes indeed I found the marriage, which was a surprise.
William is my 2 x great grandfather and was a Master Mariner working on the river boats. Elizabeth, his second wife, aged 21 years at their marriage in 1868, was related through William's daughter Eliza, who married a George Quirk. Elizabeth Quirk was born and lived in Liverpool. William had children with his first wife Ann. They were living in Toxteth Park on the 1861 Census, and between then and 1868 at William's second marriage, Ann had died.  I was surprised to see Dale Street as their residence on the 1868 marriage certificate as that area has always been a commercial area and one where, at that time, there were many coaching inns, people waiting to ship out of the port.  Because I cannot trace any record of William and Elizabeth in the 1871 Census, or indeed a death certificate for William in UK, I wonder if they went abroad, perhaps in 1868 after their marriage. I cannot trace any births for them in Liverpool area in the yeas following their marriage.
On William's son, James marriage certificate to Hannah Sothern dated 3rd March 1878, St Matthew, Toxteth, William Evans is declared as "deceased". I think I have found his son George Evans born in Runcorn in 1851 working on board ss Russia from Liverpool 1873 to New York. They were a seafaring family and most of the men were mariners, so it may have not been such a big deal for William to contemplate sailing to another country for a new start.

I hope this further information may help. Thank you so much. I have been struggling with this problem for some time and I would be eternally grateful for any assistance.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've found Elizabeth & brother George on the 1851 census and her birthyear is confirmed as 1846/47 as she is 4yrs old.  Birthplace Liverpool although George gives Toxteth Park in 1871

I can't find anything resembling her profile on the 1871 but if William was at sea - it's unlikely.

We don't know exactly when William died and whether he died on land or at sea - only that he was dead by 1878

My gut feeling is that there was no emigration. 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW
Yes you have found the right family Quirk/Evans, thanks for your speedy research. If William died at sea do you know where they would register his death, would it be at the nearest port? I have paid for 3 GRO searches for a death for him in England and Wales for the years 1868 (his marriage to Elizabeth) through to 1878 (deceased on son James marriage certificate). Strangely enough, on son George Evans marriage certificate to Frances Franklin in 1877 it gives father William Evans, mariner - doesn't say deceased. You would have thought that narrowed the death range down but I have searched all through bmd and it doesn't show anything with the right criteria for William.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You can't always trust a marriage cert for that type of info.  We have come across lots of certs where it is known for certain that the father was dead but the marriage cert gives the impression he is still alive

Depends whether the vicar/registrar asked for fathers name and whether still alive - or just his name

You could take a look here but it's a subscription/pay per view site

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/maritime/deaths

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes my thoughts exactly. Certainly on George's wedding certificate if he was just asked name and occupation of father he wouldn't necessarily have said he was deceased, so we cant be sure he was actually still alive in 1877. I would think the 1878 marriage certificate for James where it is stated father deceased would be more accurate. I cant imagine him saying his father had died if he didn't know that for a fact?

Thank you for the maritime deaths link, I will certainly look there.
Its just great having someone "on board" who understands the problems of such research.

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at the maritime deaths site but none of them were the right age, so still searching!