Author Topic: JAMES HENRY MURDOCH Mystery?  (Read 7285 times)

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMES HENRY MURDOCH Mystery?
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents & birthplace of James Henry Murdoch, and three of his children.Here is what I know.
He died in 1934 in NZ.From his age at death I assumed he was born in 1859.
His wife was Jane Mary Nicol. She was born in 1858 in Scotland, and died in 1903 in NZ.
They married in 1901 in Dunedin in NZ.
They had the following children-all born before they were married. Janet Mary .b 1898 in NZ. Arthur Patrick b 1897 in NZ. Jane Ellen b 1891 in NZ. Henry James b 1889 in ?. Minnie Ann b 1887 in ?, and David b 1885 in ?.The reason I know all the birth dates is from a piece of paper in a deceased family members belongings(possibly James Henry`s father or mother) that listed all the children and the time and date of birth (but not the place)
I figure that as Jane  was born in Scotland, then James was probably born in the UK, and maybe they met in the UK and had three of their children there. If so there would be immigration records showing them coming to NZ (probably Dunedin), but I have been unable to progress further. Any help would be appreciated.
Flamank.Lee.Lacy.Adams.McGuire.Rawleigh.

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES HENRY MURDOCH Mystery?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Since posting this, I have discovered that as far as the children go, Minnie Ann and Henry James (George) were born in NZ but carry the surname of Nicol.(as does Jane Ellen) I have been unable to find David, and am still searching for James Henry`s birth place and parents.
Can anyone tell me why some of the children carry the surname Nicol, yet husband is shown as James Murdoch?
Thanks.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
1911 Electoral Rolls Invercargill District Region/Province Southland NZ
Lists James Murdoch @ Liddel St a Quarryman
Lists Jane Murdoch @ same address.

There are some Family Trees online that state James was born in Ballarat Victoria Australia in 1861
Father given as James Murdoch - Mother as Hellen Purdy. Birthplace for James Miners Rest Victoria. :)

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ballybw,
Thanks for that info. I have come across three  other family trees stating James was born in Ballarat,with parents Campbell Murdoch and Mary Egan but am certain they are incorrect as the  parents given  were born after James ,so they obviously hadn`t  been researched very well.
Ihaven`t come across  records giving Helen Purdy as mother but doubt if that is correct.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 01:47 GMT (UK) »
A 1901 New Zealand marriage certificate will give places of birth and parents' names for both the bride and groom.  The birth certificate of any of their children will also provide the parents' places of birth.

The family tree mentioned by ballydw which gives James' parents as James MURDOCH and Ellen/Helen PURDY states that the 1901 marriage took place at the registrar's office in Dunedin on 5 Jan 1901 which suggests to me that they have a copy of that marriage certificate.

When Jane's children were born she was not married so normally they would have been registered under the surname NICOL if the marriage details on the birth certificate indicated that the parents/mother were not married.

The same tree mentioned above suggests these births for Jane:

1885/11627
NICOL, Robert David
Mother: Jeanie
No father named

1887/3158
NICOL, Minnie Ann
Mother: Jane
Father: James

1889/899
NICOL, James Murdock
Father: not named

1890/4228
NICOL, Henry George

1891/16052
NICOL, Jane Ellen

1898/12535
NICOL, Janet Murdoch
Father: not named

They do not have Arthur Patrick listed and I can't see a birth registered for him.

The NZ indexes allow for an exact date of birth search so perhaps you can check the births above with the dates given in your family documents.

To progress your research you will need to purchase a copy of the marriage cert.
https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

Debra  :)

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dundee,
Thanks for your help. I may have mis-led with wrong information, because I have managed to make contact with family member  who doesn`t remember much about what they were told, but is clear about a couple of things. They confirm Jane Mary was Scotch, and recall being told that James Henry was Irish, as it was unusual for Irish to marry Scotch.Which means I need to look in Ireland for a lead on James
I was also told that Jane was alive after 1903-until at least the late 40,50`s and that she died in Petone Wellington. Buried in Taita Old Section Cemetery, which can`t be accessed on line. I have found  two Mary Janes that the dates fit ,but the family member is adamant her name was Jane Mary, and not Mary Jane. I'm not  so certain.
As for the marriage date, this also may be incorrect.
So it`s back almost to square one. Sorry for wasting everyones time. I'll Post again if I uncover more information.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
...Arthur Patrick b 1897 in NZ.

Maybe Arthur Patrick is the one mentioned here http://genforum.genealogy.com/newzealand/messages/16436.html - husband to Janet Murdoch/Nicol that you and Debra have listed?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
You are correct. That was me some time back -still working on this family.Thanks
David

Offline barrierexpress

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 January 14 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ballydw, and Dundee
Haven`t progressed any further yet, but have found that James Murdoch and Ellen Purdey that you mentioned were married in 1860.That is one year after James Henry was born .James Henry and Jane Mary were married in 1901 in Dunedin, and the children are correct.
I still doubt that James Henry was born in Ballarat, but as yet still haven`t traced  him.