Author Topic: Ribbesford - Mary or Margt ?  (Read 365 times)

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ribbesford - Mary or Margt ?
« on: Monday 27 January 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for someone with access to Ribbesford P.R's please.
IGI lists the following:- a Stephen Knowles & a 'Mary' Smith married 11.10.1731 in Ribbesford.
( A Mary Smith was Bap. 1716 in Ribbesford, f.Joseph mo. Mary.)
IGI lists seven children to a Stephen & 'Margaret' Knowles, the first in 1732 and all in Ribbesford.
( The third & fourth children being Joseph and Mary ) !
I am wondering if the names Mary and/or Margaret ( Margt.) have been mis-transcribed from the original Marriage or Baptism P.R's.
I hope this is not too much of a saga and look forward to trying to resolve my query with someones help.
regards,
robsdad.

STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,
SHROP: Bird, Colley, Parton, Cock.
WORCS: Knowles, Adams, Evans, Wanklin, Edwards, Harvett, Potter.
WARKS: Garrington.
NORTHANTS: Betts, Clark
BERKS: Cross, Preston, Orpwood, Banister, Celly/Colly, Wildblood, Bond.
BEDS: Carver, Merrington.
OXFORD: Edwards, Maizey, Hanwell, Laurence

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ribbesford - Mary or Margt ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi robsdad
I can confirm that the marriage has been written as being between Stephen Knowles and Mary Smith. There are three entries for October each man is shown as marrying a Mary. Mary Cook, Mary Cheese and Mary Smith. The entries are so neat they could have been written into the parish register all at the same time and an error made when writing up the final one.  The first marriage took place on the 5th, the second on the 7th and then Stephen’s on the 11th. I would have checked the Bishop’s Transcript (BT) copy, to see if the parish clerk had corrected the mistake on that copy, - if  he was allowed to do so - but the BT’s for Ribbesford are held at Herefordshire Archives not at Worcester. Unfortunately Herefordshire Archive is closed to the public for a year whilst they prepare to move the Archive to new premises.

There isn’t a marriage between a Stephen Knowles and a Margaret in the necessary time frame in the Worcestershire Marriage Index and John Knowles parents are definitely shown as Stephen and Margaret Knowles.

Jack

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ribbesford - Mary or Margt ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 February 14 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your efforts most appreciated.
The plot thickens but thanks for the confirmation of the familysearch details.
The Mary Smith looks OK as there is a Mary Smith bap. Ribb. of about the sort of right age ?
Many thanks again.
regards,
robsdad
STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,
SHROP: Bird, Colley, Parton, Cock.
WORCS: Knowles, Adams, Evans, Wanklin, Edwards, Harvett, Potter.
WARKS: Garrington.
NORTHANTS: Betts, Clark
BERKS: Cross, Preston, Orpwood, Banister, Celly/Colly, Wildblood, Bond.
BEDS: Carver, Merrington.
OXFORD: Edwards, Maizey, Hanwell, Laurence