Author Topic: Ducketts Canal, nr Kew Bridge, Surrey  (Read 1444 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ducketts Canal, nr Kew Bridge, Surrey
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me.

I have found a probate record as follows -

Arthur William Vandersteen of 50 Bushberry Road, Homerton, Middlesex died 19 June 1925 at Ducketts Canal near Kew Bridge, Surrey
Probate London to Aliice Elizabeth Hollis widow
Effects £636 12s 2d

I can find Ducketts Canal/Hertford Union Canal, which is in East end of London, near to where Arthur lived, but Kew Bridge is several miles away to the West.

Was there a Kew Bridge in E London as well?

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ducketts Canal, nr Kew Bridge, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Wikipaedia gives the route of Duckett's Canal as follows:
River Lee Navigation 
 3 Old Ford Bottom Lock
  Wansbeck Road
  A12 East Cross Route
  Cadogan Terrace
 2 Old Ford Middle Lock
 1 Old Ford Top Lock
  B118 Old Ford Road
  A1205 Grove Road
  Regent's Canal

Don't know of any Kew in E London. The death was registered in Poplar, so must have happened there. There must have been a mistake or mistranscription. The death certificate will give the place of death.
freebmd gives
Deaths Jun 1925 
Vandersteen  Arthur W  59  Poplar  1c 360

Josey

ADDED: Duckett's Canal is totally in Middlesex north of the River Thames, none in Surrey.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
  Kew bridge is approx. 1 mile from Brentford the start of the Grand Union  Canal.
Just after your man died around 1929 Duckett's canal or Duckett's Cut as it was better known  being then part of the regents canal was acquired by the Grand Union Canal. Ducketts was named after the Ducketts  (they also built some lock cottage's) I am interested to know if these where part of the Duckett canal boatmen as these are a line in my family tree of Canal Boatmen my  intresting to note I also have Hollis in a different line

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »

Thanks, Josey and Jane.  Arthur William Vandersteen was on the periphery of my tree, not worth sending off for his death certificate, but I was curious.  Sounds like the 'Kew Bridge, Surrey' must be an error.

Jane - Alice Elizabeth Hollis was Arthur's sister.  She married William Goodchild Hollis in 1888, when she was a spinster aged 25, he apparently a widower, aged 64 (St Philip's, Lambeth).  I have not researched him further as yet, though I can see a few records for him at a well known subscription site.

Thanks again, both of you

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 January 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
   I prefer to call if 'Duckett's Passage' in deference to the alleyway of that name in the TV series "Goodnight Sweetheart".      Some months ago I wrote a sequel for the 'Goodnight Sweetheart' forum on the net and called it "It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow".     Since 'Duckett's Passage' features prominently in my sequel I had to study this canal in great detail so this may be of interest to anyone with connections to the Cut.

If anyone would like to read my sequel - it runs to about 80 pages in Word - then just send me a PM with your email address so that I can reply with an file attachment.

Or you can read it here in the 'Duckett's Passage' Forum - http://blitzandpieces.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=136
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
William Goodchild Hollis was already a widower when he married Jane Eleanor Cocks in 1856.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolyn Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 19 12:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a Skew Bridge on Ducketts where Old Ford Road crosses just by Victoria Park.  I'd welcome any info you have about workers on Ducketts or the east end reach of the Regent's Canal. Canal also send info about the canals following a heritage project eun with young people.
Carolyn

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 19 01:57 BST (UK) »
There is a Skew Bridge on Ducketts where Old Ford Road crosses just by Victoria Park.  I'd welcome any info you have about workers on Ducketts or the east end reach of the Regent's Canal. Canal also send info about the canals following a heritage project eun with young people.
Carolyn

Skew Bridge sounds a distinct possibility, thank you Carolyn (have only just seen this reply).

Regards Margaret