Author Topic: 1870 Census conducted in Philadelphia  (Read 2679 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1870 Census conducted in Philadelphia
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I have encountered two different sets of enumeration data for the same families in Philadelphia.  Both families were first recorded in June of 1870.  A few months later in November of 1870 the same families were recorded again.  While the June data is detailed the November data deals mostly with names alone.  Does anyone have any idea why this may have taken place?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1870 Census conducted in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Asked the same question in 2010 but no one came forward with an answer.

It would seem that in 1870 there were two census enumerations taken in Philadelphia. The index to the first enumeration is Philadelphia, PA 1870 Census Index. 929.3748 P53p. Look at the addenda in the front of this index for Wards 27 and 28. There is no index to the second enumeration. There are, however, descriptions on microfilm of many of the second enumeration boundaries. These boundaries are also shown graphically in a series of drawings at the Map Department.
Apparently the 1870 census was filmed twice. The second filming (2nd) is listed first and is usually easier to read. However, since some of the records were faded
or lost between the first and second filmings, it is best to search the first filming
(1st) whenever the material on the second filming (2nd) is too light to
read

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stephan/research.aids/1870.html

The instances where there was a second enumeration usually were the result of local officials challenging the accuracy of the results of the first count. These challenges were fairly common in localities which were rapidly growing or changing. Most such challenges were turned down by the census officials and/or the courts but some did result in additional enumerations.

There are apparently 2 versions of the 1870 NYC Federal Census that are listed as 1 st and second enumerations. In 1870, enumerators failed to record addresses in New York City. Addresses serve the same purpose for census officials as citations for genealogists. Without documentation, census officials could not refute allegations that households had been missed. Census superintendent Francis A. Walker ordered a recount. (Recounts were also made in Philadelphia and Indianapolis.3) These recounts are known as the 1870 Second Enumeration. The first enumeration occurred in June 1870 and the second about six months later.

http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/darned-second-enumerations.html   

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline SBrevoort

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Check out this document: “Historical U.S. Censuses,” Kansas State Library (https://kslib.info/DocumentCenter/View/4643/historical-censuses-1?bidId= : viewed 12 April 2019), p. 2-3. It explains that some major cities sued because they would lose block grants due to undercounting their residents. In 1870, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and New York City were each granted a second enumeration. Usually, this is not allowed because "undercounting in a census is an inherent part of taking the census."

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
That is a very interesting piece of historical information.  A hundred and fifty years later the same issues are still being battled out in the Courts. Doesn't seem that there will be a 100% accurate census anytime / anywhere.

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 November 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra; SBrevoort & floppyslater

Many thanks for your replies.
I  have now definitely concluded that I have found the same family in both the first and second enumerations of New York in the 1870 census even though in the first enumeration the family is transcribed as AUDLEY and in the second the family is transcribed as ARDLEY
One of the statements in one of the links provided by Sandra is very informative as it states:
' Curiously, upon first examination the two enumerations of New York City bear little resemblance. The explanation lies in the fact that between enumerations the election districts changed, making it difficult to compare the two.
 This explains why the family I am interested in was in were in the 29th election district at the first enumeration and the 4th election district in the second enumeration. I think I understand it all; I just hope I remember next time I look at the 1870 census of New York.
Thanks to all for your help

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 November 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
OOPS
Sorry following Sandra's links I appear to have replied to the wrong thread.
Please accept my apologies