Author Topic: Appledore Parish Registers - 1820's COMPLETED  (Read 2586 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Appledore Parish Registers - 1820's COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 30 January 14 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone got access to the Burial Records for the parish of Appledore?

I have found 2 burials on Familysearch and it would  be helpful to know the ages of the deceased - plus any other info, if any,  the PR gives of course.

Or if anyone happens to live in the village , and is taking the dog for a walk round the churchyard, and spots a headstone!

They are:
George Boniface 26 May 1823
Rebecca Boniface 15 Sep 1827

Thank you.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Appledore Parish Registers - 1820's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 January 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb,

I have some Appledore Parish records but the burials only go up to 1812.

However, I've found these records elsewhere and they state that....

George Boniface was buried on May 26th 1823, he was 77 years old and lived in Appledore.

Rebecca Boniface was buried on Sept 15th 1827, she was 77 years old and lived in Appledore.

The Parish records I have contain birth and marriage records which would cover the appropriate years and as I have to go out now, I'll have a look at them later today and get back to you.

Also, Appledore is not exactly local but not a million miles from me so if I am that way in the better weather I will look for graves for you. Though I have to say from a previous visit there, that the gravestones aren't in good condition and 1823/1827 is a long time ago, so best not hold your breath  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 January 14 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for this info - any chance you can give me the source of the extra info?

I am pretty certain you wont find and birth or marriage (though thanks for the offer to look) as I am pretty certain (and the ages you say do help confirm as George was bn 1745) these are a couple who actually married in Sussex, spent most of their early married lives in the medway area of kent, with their children straying to Deptford and Southwark areas as they grew up, but then I could never find any deaths for them, till I stumbled upon this couple who looked hopeful.

Not holding my breath for a headstone - please dont go to any great trouble, though of course if you do see one, a transcription would be wonderful , though I was really thinking that it might just reveal an age, and if we have that from another source, then it is not so important.

Thanks again.

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lizdb,

The records I found came from FindMyPast and I've since checked the NBI. I found no suitable burial records for Rebecca on there and several Sussex burials for George but probably none of them were the correct age for your George.

I guess you've found the marriage record but if not here is what I found on SMI......
At Eastbourne 8th January 1773, George Boniface (Aldingbourne lic) married Rebecca Chapman (otp) and the witnesses were Lucy Chapman, R Brown and Thos Cobden.

There are some children, in Aldingbourne.....
Elizabeth Tregus Chapman (1773)
George Chapman  (1775)
Rebecca Lucy  (1777)

Then possible baptisms...
George Boniface, son of George and Elizabeth, was baptised at Eastergate 20th Jan 1745/46

Rebekah Chapman, daughter of Nich and Eliz Chapman, was baptised at Eastbourne, 8th Jan 1749

I checked the Appledore Parish records, which served one purpose, in that it confirms there are absolutely no births or marriages for anyone with the surname Boniface from 1700 onwards.

Hope this helps a little, although I realise you probably already have the information.

As for a photo of Appledore, well there is a very nice country pub next to the Church, so I can feel a lunch in the summer beckoning  ;D
Best wishes HL

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 January 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks HL
Yes, that is the couple - I have spent many a happy hour ploughing through the Wills of George's relations and following them (in Aldingbourne and around). George was always a problem - he seemed either cut out of peoples wills altogether, or having his legacy either dependent on him clearing a debt, or with a large a large sum deducted from it because he had been lent some money . So he appears to be a bit of a 'black sheep'.  Whilst the rest of the family are gentlemen farmers, with lots of property and land, he seems not to inherit - and is a "pastry cook" or "confectioner" on later records.
Then after the christening of those three children in Aldingbourne he and the family disappeared - at least from the family area of Sussex.
I have just discovered that he went to Kent, and had two more children. Took some detective work to prove (or as near as is possible with pre1837 records) that this George and Rebecca were the same ones - but daughter Rebecca Lucy was the key player - she never married , helpfully lived with a brother ( one of the ones born after they left Sussex) on a census, and died with her full name, Rebecca Lucy and her correct age.
But I never found where George and Rebecca ended up - until  I stumbled upon the Appledore couple .

You're probably not interested - but thought Id tell you the background to my request!

So, thanks, but yes I did have those records.

By all means enjoy a pub lunch at Appledore, but now I have the ages at death, I dont need a headstone.

The annoying thing is that evenntually finding what happened to this George has actually resulted in proving he isnt a direct ancestor, and mine is one of the other (many) George Bonifaces around!  I'm sure they will all link up somewhere, but at present this Appledore guy is not important enough to warrant a special trip to Appledore!

Thanks for the offer though

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Appledore Parish Registers - 1820's COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:09 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting information Liz. At least you've entangled a little more and if you need any more info that I may have the records for please just ask.

I can still feel a nice lasagne and glass of wine coming up though  :)
Best wishes HL