Author Topic: William Ferguson (c1800 - pre 1851)  (Read 18267 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ferguson (c1800 - pre 1851)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 February 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Just in case you hadn't seen them there are photographs of the graves of Jane and Ann Ferguson on billion graves . com.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 February 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've wondered about Annie being born out of wedlock.
But Rob states in his first post that William and Jane married in Peebleshire circa 1837  :-\

As I asked earlier, Rob, do you have the OPR of the couple's marriage ? Or the OPR of Annie's birth?
What record do you have of William Ferguson? Is it just from information provided by Jane and Annie in Australia?

Looby :)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 February 14 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby & William
(Tried to post a reply yesterday but it wouldn't work.  I shall cut'n'paste yesterdays reply from a word doc.)  I will then attempt to supply answeres to some of the questions posed.  You may find some of them in the post below

"I attempted to find the death reg for Helen Stobie, Stobbie & Hamilton at Inveresk, Midlothian on ScotlandsPeople but found nothing.  I shall try again.  I also tried for the marriage reg (OPR) at Peebles for John Stobie & Helen Hamilton.  Likewise – no record found.  I will try again.
I have the following born to John Hamilton (c1780-) & Anna Scott (c1782-) in Keir, Dumfriesshire:
*Jane (1802-1875) (info supplied in Victorian death reg)
*Margaret (1805-1889) (infor supplied in Victorian death reg)
*John (1810-1887) -the only one with OPR Births from ScotlandsPeople.
 I was aware of George & James (also born in Keir) from Peebles census record but haven’t been able to find the OPR on ScotlandsPeople.  I established the connection to John & Anna for Jane & Margaret through their death regs in Victoria,  Australia.
There was no occupation listed for Jane (listed as Ferguson, born in Keir, Dumfriesshire & a widow)on the 1861 Balmaghie census.  She was living with just Annie (also listed as Ferguson, born in Peebles)) who was listed as a milliner.  Probably supporting her 62 year old mother who was listed as head of the household. 
I could not find the actual 1851 Balmaghie census document on ScotlandsPeople.  I was able to get a transcription on Findmypast.  Jane is listed as Ferguson widow, head of the household, no occupation & born in Keir.  Annie is listed as a 12 year old scholar born in Peebles.  Perhaps Jane was living on the proceeds of Williams estate.  I searched for a will for William Ferguson on ScotlandsPeople and came up empty.
I will have to search for Jane on the 1841 census again.  Might be lucky this time.  Hope I can find her death reg as that would clinch it.  What about MIs for William Ferguson?  Wouldn’t they help?  I have searched the Balmaghie MIs with no luck there.
Thanks for all your help
Best regards
Rob"
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 February 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

I have downloaded the death cert for Helen Stobie. It says parents unknown as the informant was an attendant in the asylum where she died. The entry says she was a pauper lunatic and the widow of John Stobie mason. She died of TB age 50 on 29 Jan 1864 at Millholm House Asylum Musselburgh. I suspect that it will therefore be impossible to prove that she was Jane's sister.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 February 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Poor Helen Stobie.
Comfirming her marriage in Peebles will connect her to the town.
There are hardly any Hamiltons in the whole of Peebleshire at the time of 1841 Census. In fact according to Freecen there are 33 adults and children, and most of the adults were not born in the County.
The evidence connecting Helen  Hamilton to Jane Hamilton is
1. They both give place of birth as Dumfriesshire.
2 Helen marrys in Peebles where there are very few Hamiltons in residence.
3. Helen's daughter is called Ann (mother's mother :-\)
4. Helen has a 2 year old Ann Ferguson with her on 1841 Census
As Millmoor says unfortunately you may never prove for certain that the women were sisters but I think there is a very good likelihood that they are connected.

to find the Stobie's marriage in OLD PARISH RECORDS on Scotlands People search Stobie John -Peebles Peebleshire and/or Stobie John -Lasswade Midlothian.

Also 1851 Census - Scotlands People has a Jane Ferguson age 50 with second person forename Anne at Balmaghie Kircudbrightshire :). You should be able to view the image.

Someone must have been financially supporting Jane at this time ( family members) if she was not working. I'm not sure about the possibilty of living off her husbands estate :-\ for ten/twenty years.

I still think William was dead pre 1841 (if he was married to Jane) and she is a widow at the time of that Census. William could have died in Peebles or Midlothian or anywhere.

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 February 14 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby & William
Well the marriage bans from both Peebles & Lasswade (Dalkeith) were for the same couple.  I assume they wanted to let both communities know.  Thanks for the tip.  Even though there is no birth reg for Helen (Hamilton) Stobie, nor any of John Hamilton & Anna Scott (except for son John) children, the consistency of data such as occupation (carter, mason), address (northgate or similar) & continuity of Christian names leads to the obvious conclusion that they are all related in some way.  The Hamiltons in Alma confirm the link.
Is it possible to get a copy of the death registration for Helen Stobie?
I don't have a marriage reg for John Hamilton (c 1780) & Anna Scott (c1782) and the birth year was worked out on the birth date of the youngest (Jane Hamilton 1802-1875).   The other thought is that perhaps John & Anna had Jane, Margaret, ?George (not sure if he is in fact a son or nephew, born in Keir) & John in Keir and the moved to Peeblesshire or Midlothian.  I have searched for death regs in both areas with no luck.
Thankyou again for all your help and for suggesting the link to Dalkeith.  John's son James Hamilton's wife Marion Callender was from Dalkeith.  There are so many ties to Midlothian that I wasn't aware of before.
Cheers
Rob

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

You are welcome to have a copy of Helen Stobies death. Send me a pm.and we can arrange.

Re the marriage banns this was common practice to have the proclamation in both parishes. I think we can assume that Helens parish at that time was Peebles and Johns was Lasswade. Midlothian at that time was growing industrially with the development of the coalfield. Peebles remains a much more rural county.

Might be worth contacting the Borders FHS to see if there are any MIs for Peebles regarding John and Anna.

William

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 February 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi William
Thanks again for your assistance & advice.  I will send you a PM.
Best regards
Rob

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 February 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Have you came to any solution as to why Jane and Annie ended up in Balmaghie when the rest of her family are in Peebles and Dalkeith?