Author Topic: Whiteman's of Abbot Rd, Poplar, London 1919  (Read 5552 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteman's of Abbot Rd, Poplar, London 1919
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 06:24 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me the name of the local school for Abbott Road children?

I think you'll find there were probably several in the area and I don't think all have surviving admission records.  The only one I am aware of is the Grammar School my grandmother had a scholarship to, but my Great Aunt as far as we are aware didn't attend that one.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Simon Nay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
My father went to george green-secondary i think. It is the one with the massive clock on East India Dock road.
(history) http://www.georgegreens.com/pdfs/historyofgeorgegreens.pdf
 (photo) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rYSkrJe_Z1Y/T2udkMfCe-I/AAAAAAAAAcI/zOVrmdn0X1k/s1600/geo+green.jpg

Offline Sylvia Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Simon, my gt grandfather's address was Dock Cottages, am I right in thinking this was at the East India Dock Company.   Oh and was there a gas works near Abbott Rd as dad spoke about being a young boy and taking a wheel barrow and collecting klinker which the neighbours had sent him to collect and he would be given a ha'penny.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
My father went to george green-secondary i think. It is the one with the massive clock on East India Dock road.
(history) http://www.georgegreens.com/pdfs/historyofgeorgegreens.pdf
 (photo) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rYSkrJe_Z1Y/T2udkMfCe-I/AAAAAAAAAcI/zOVrmdn0X1k/s1600/geo+green.jpg

Depending on when your father attended, George Green was the local grammar school.  It became a comprehensive secondary school some time later.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Simon Nay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 August 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
He went pre war and he was  clever so i expec it was a Grammar school. His playing fields at the time were down in the Isle of Dogs-probably where the new school is now. He told me he used to love going through the foot tunnel to Greenwich-paradise. Greenwich is a beautiful place today.

Offline kenspry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 March 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
My mother lived in Abbott Road before the war and attended Oban Street School, which is around the corner. It was a junior school I think