Author Topic: Elijah Morfey 1803  (Read 2056 times)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elijah Morfey 1803
« on: Friday 31 January 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know who were the parents of Elijah Morfey born Brede West Sussex around 1803. I have traced back to him from my great grandad Thomas Smith born 1874 to Ellen Susan Baker, married to William Leaddbetter, she then married Thomas Morfey. Thomas Smith had changed his surname sometime around 1890, so took awhile to sort out who he belonged to, Smith not being the easiest of names to trace. Thanks

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elijah Morfey 1803
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi sgf28,

I don't know if this was a typing error but as far as I know there is no Brede in West Sussex.....it's in East Sussex, near Rye.

I've checked the Parish records for Brede, East Sussex and it's not altogether straightforward...

there is no baptism for Elijah Morfey in 1803 but I found some records which may (or may not) help you...

Elijah Morfey Catt was baptised at Brede on 6th Dec 1808, baseborn son of Sarah Catt
Eliakam Morfey Catt was baptised at Brede on 6th Dec 1808, baseborn son of Sarah Catt
Eliza Morfey Catt was baptised at Brede on 21st Feb 1802,baseborn daughter of Sarah Catt

I could check to see if there are others or any marriage for Sarah if you think these fit in anywhere.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I think they are one and the same person.    Elijah and Louisa Morfey are having children baptised in Peasmarsh and the one in 1837 is called Albert Catt.   Father Elijah "Morfrey" Catt a labourer.   That fits with the information for all the other children though Catt does not appear for them.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for Sarah Catt to Thomas Gadd in Peasmarsh in 1810 which may be her.  On the other hand there is also one in Northiam in 1808.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 January 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Elias Morphey Catt married Louisa Banister 30 March 1828 at Peasmarsh.  Their first son is Thomas in 1829.  Does that fit with your census findings later?   Nine children by 1851.   Another by 1861!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Plus little Albert who was born and died in 1837.  Have you looked on Ancestry.   There seem to be several trees giving all this detail.  I should have looked there first.  I will learn one day!

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. Elijah Morfey baptised 1808 to Sarah Catt looks correct but where does the name Morfey fit in if he was illegitemate and he was baptised Catt?
 Elijah did marry Louisa Bannister, their first son being Thomas born 1829, he married Jane Carr in 1855, and then after her death married Ellen Susan Baker on 20th March 1877, he stated he was a widower and Ellen Susan, registered as Susan Leadbetter, widow. She had been married to William Leadbetter, haven't found a death cert for him yet, he was in prison in January1874. She had a child called Thomas born November 1874(long pregnancy if he was William's!) Thomas birth certificate does not have a fathers name registered. Thomas, 1874 was baptised Thomas Morfey Leadbetter 20 December 1874 in Rye. Thomas, 1874 changed his name to Thomas Smith sometime between 1890 and 1893 when he joined the Navy, his subsequent marriage in Greenock, Scotland to Anne Hunter Barrie confirmed who he was.
Sorry if that it looks a bit confusing, hopefully everyone can understand it!

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 February 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Nearly forgot:Thank you Hampshire lass for the info, your help is much appreciated. And Sillgen, I have a tree on Ancestry with certficates attached etc, but Ancestry can only help  so much. My family have proved to be great wanderers since the early 1800's so it has been entertaining trying to track them all down, we now live in the North of England which makes getting to Sussex Records Offices a bit of  trek!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
If I had to hazard a guess about the Morfey bit of his name I would say that it was his father's name.   Many illegitimate children had their father's name as a middle name.   It would be just a guess, though the fact that she had three baseborn children with that middle name does suggest a long relationship.   On the other hand it may be an ancestor of Sarah Catt.   I do think that a look at the original registers might help.  Often the vicar noted "reputed child of X".
I do take Ancestry with a pinch of salt most of the time.    If you could give us all the information you have or direct us to a tree that you know is accurate that does save time and can be helpful.
My ancestors are all in the north of England so I do know all about the trek from/to Sussex!