Author Topic: Greasley Parish Records  (Read 6315 times)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Greasley Parish Records
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 02:01 BST (UK) »
If some one has access to the parish records for Greasley would they be willing to do a look up for me?

I am trying to find out who the parents are of my grgrgrgrandfather John Hardwick. On his marriage certificate 1840 the father's first name is just a letter could be J or W Hardwick hard to read. I an leaning towards J for John. My reasons being that John and Martha Hardwick have  a daughter named Lettice born 1846. I did a searcho on IGI and found a John and Lettice Hardwick have children born in Greasley around the time my John was born but he is not listed.  As Lettice is not that common of a name I am thinking that this is his parents.

Also found John and Martha on the 1841 census in Attercliffe near Sheffield and  also have just found John and Lettice Hardwick and familyon the same census in the same town.

So now I just need proof that this John and Lettice Hardwick is my John's parents.

According to the 1871 census ( the only one I have found my John on so far) lists his place of birth as Greasley, Nott. and his age is given as 52 so he would have been born around 1818-19 I think.

Sorry for this being such a long message. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Greasley Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

you are right that John doesn't appear on the baptisms for Greasley, which have also been transcribed by the Notts FHS. However the 1861 census I think provides the link you need :)

RG9 2535 56 8
Eckington and Troway, Derbyshire
John Hardwick head 42 underground steward Notts Beverley
Martha wife 39 York Darnall
Ann dau 19 Darnall
Tom son 17 coal miner Darnall
John son 11 Eckington, as were others
William son 4
Henry son 2
Martha dau 1 month
Robert Hancock boarder 38 sickle maker

RG9 2535 54 4
Eckington and Troway
John Hardwick head 70 coal miner Greasley
Lettice wife 68 Greasley
Arthur grandson 8 York Darnall
Emma grand dau 7 Eckington

I think the 1871 census lists Emma as the dau of John and Martha?
Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather:

Thank you very much. This does proof who John (Jr) parents are. Also Emma is the daughter of John and Martha Hardwick as she is on the 1871 census with them. I did not know about a Arthur Hardwick but then he could the the child of the other children on John and Lettice Hardwick.  Now I can carry on working on this Hardwick line. Once again thank you very much for taking the time to look this up for me. You have made my day!!

Thanks again

Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather:
Just to let you know I spend most of yesterday trying to find the birth place for John Hardwick. I know that there is no Beverley in Notts. Only in Yks.  I found a brother on the IGI with christening place listed as Bevelee, Greasley, Yks. But again I can;t find that place on the map. So now trying to figure out where John could have been born.

Regards
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I took a look at those IGI entries and saw that in 1832 John and lettice baptised two children at Beaverlee Schoolroom Primitive Methodist Church, Beggarlee. Looking through the pages of the 1851 census, Beggarlee appears to be an area of the hamlet of Newthorpe, which is part of Greasley

However the IGI records for this church only covers the years 1827-1837. I wonder if it is worth e-mailing Nottinghamshire Archives to see if they hold the records for the time you need? You can find the email address on their web page

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives.htm

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather:
Thanks for the information. Going to send an e-mail to the archives soon as I have sent this message to you. Keeping my fingers crossed I will get good news. Will let you know when I hear back from them.

Thanks again
Anne
Canada
Shropshire - Hotchkiss