Author Topic: Parish register look up request: Bredon / Kemerton  (Read 3490 times)

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish register look up request: Bredon / Kemerton
« on: Saturday 01 February 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace, so far without success, the birth of a Henry Clements who married Eleanor Athrelfoe in Beckford in January 1729.  I suspect he must be very local but the question is which parish?   I have found some references to the  Clements marriages in Kemerton around 1700 and I wondered if Henry (or Harry) might have been baptised there in 1700 - 1710.  Similarly Bredon.
I wondered if anyone had access to these Parish registers and could check that name for me in that decade.
I'd be really grateful for any help.
St Davids

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish register look up request: Bredon / Kemerton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about this but might be worth a look, this record was on Ancestry.
Henry Clements born and baptised 13 Oct 1710 Saint Mary DE Lode, Gloucester
Parents Thomas Clements and Elizabeth.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion.
I have done quite a bit of work on tracing this ancestor since February, looking at  parish records for all Glos and Worcs Henry and Harry names in the time frame, and eliminating the incorrect Henry's carefully. I am now fairly confident the one I want was Harry baptised 1706  in Bishops Cleeve (son of Edward, and grandson of John who married there in 1678).  Incidentally the parents of the Henry at St Mary de Lode were from Miserden. I am now trying to clarify the origins of John at Bishops Cleeve. I suspect he may be from Tredington rather than Bishops Cleeve. Thanks again.

Offline farmer dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi StDavids,
 I'm new to this and ended up on your post searching for Henry Clements and Eleanor Athrelfoe.
My father recently died and I have been sorting through all his stuff and came across all his documents for researching the family history which he did in the early 1980s.
Looking at some of your other posts it would appear we are distantly related as your Charles Clements baptised 27/11/1803 and George Clements baptised 8/11/1789 were brothers.George is my great great great grandfather.
I remember my father spending a lot of time trying to find more information on Henry Clements and Eleanor Athrelfoe but didn't get anywhere so I'm interested in how you have got on verifying details about Henry?
Thanks
David

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I have spent a lot of time on this but nothing currently proven I'm afraid.  I feel that Henry and William who appear in Beckford from 1729 have to be the Bishops Cleeve family as Edward Clements's  sons Henry / Harry and William.   Those 2 otherwise disappear without trace in Bishops Cleeve . I have traced and been able to exclude all other local Henry / Harry Clements in the period.

I have gone over the original Bishops Cleeve register in Gloucester records office very very carefully and documented all the Clements from about 1590 - 1700.  Although there are various Clements in the BC register before 1678 , I cannot prove a link to John Clements there earlier than his marriage in 1678.  I can speculate on various early links to Tewkesbury, Tredington, Ashchurch but its not proven.  I have traced and ruled out other Clements in adjoining places like Didbrook

Henry's first son was baptised in Alstone; other children were in Beckford. The family seem to have then settled at Grafton and then used Ashton under Hill church more than Beckford.  I have not been able to identify Henry's  death or the death of John his son, but the burial of their wives Eleanor and Lydia is documented.

There were a lot of deaths in the village of Beckford in 1728 - must have been some sort of epidemic - ?? Henry and brother William moved there from Bishops Cleeve to vacant tenancies????

Maybe one could prove things in the Manorial court rolls for Grafton.

I would be interested to know what leads your father followed, and his conclusions /speculation on this, and any further thoughts you have.

Offline farmer dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Have you got any further with Henry Clements? It has been a few years since my original post and I thought with the current lockdown I might pick this up. Would be interested in where you have got to.
Thanks
David

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry.  I have looked but haven't found any proof (one way or the other) to add to what I have already mentioned to you about my thoughts on Henry Clements.