Author Topic: Ludlam Family  (Read 8535 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ludlam Family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 February 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming that JenB.     Does that help, Jilly?

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 February 14 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to my friends over the water, we have found that Hannah Dawson and William Ludlam married in 1860. However, Sillgen I’m a little confused with two Hannahs, particularly the one who died in 1843 aged 2. I thought she might have been my ancestor. Who was the other Hannah?

I’ve joined Durhamonline and will obtain a certificate for one of Hannah’s children to make sure I am on track. There are so many Hannah Dawson’s on this site that this may be the only way to really find out.

Thanks for everyone's help.
cheers
Jilly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 February 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
The second Hannah is another child in that family.   She is there as a grandchild of the older Elizabeth in the 1851 census.   However, there is no knowing from that whose child she is.  She could be another illegitimate child of the younger Elizabeth or she could be a child of one of the sons or another daughter.   The marriage certificate may give a name for her father but often people made up a name to avoid making it clear if they were illegitimate.
What you can be sure of now is that William Ludlam did marry a Hannah Dawson.  There is a birth registered in Chester le Street in Dec quarter 1843 ref 24 37.    That will be the Hannah found in 1851.  On Durhamrecordsonline on the 23 Jan 1844 there is a baptism at Chester le Street for Hannah, illegitimate daughter of Sarah Dawson.   However there is another possibility of a child of Edward and Ann baptised at Hetton le Hole (very near Houghton le Spring) 11 Sep 1839.  Born 9 Sep.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 February 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sillgen, I have just gone through my paper files and found Mary Ludlam's death certificate which states her mother's maiden name was Hannah Dawson and father was William Ludlam. Her marriage certificate states only William Ludlam as father. According to the 1861 census, Hannah was born at Houghton le Spring. Is that near High Downs which is stated as her birth place in the 1871 census? Would Mary's birth certificate tell me more about Hannah? I viewed the certificate of Hannah Dawson born High Downs and it states the parents as Edward and Ann. I'm not sure what to think. Any suggestions?

cheers
Jilly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 February 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Mary's birth certificate will not tell you more about Hannah - only her maiden name which we now know.   On the other hand the marriage certificate for William and Hannah should give a name and occupation for her father.    That might prove or disprove the Edward/Ann one.   Looking at the names for children of William and Hannah might help if they used family names.  You can also try tracing the other Hannah Dawson's through the census and see what happened to them.
Have a quick google to find High Downs.  It seems to be a colliery in Hetton le Hole.   Look at google maps to see how close Houghton le Spring and Hetton le Hole are.  They are adjoining villages in the coal mining area.
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/   should help if you search the catalogue to see what they have.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 February 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial for a Hannah Dawson age 1 in Hetton le Hole in 1840 so I was hoping that might be the child of Edward and Ann.  However, she is still alive and kicking in 1851 so we can discount them.  It does give her birth as Hetton though and your Hannah says Houghton le Spring.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 February 14 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I note that the 1871 Census for Hannah states she was born in High Downs and that the 1881 Census says she was born in Houghton le Spring. I definitely agree that William Seedlam is William Ludlam and have ordered a marriage certificate for them. I hope this will solve my queries. I'm secretely hoping  Hannah was the daughter of Edward and Ann. Time will tell. Thanks for all your help.
Jilly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 February 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Let us know when you get the certificate.   This is an interesting conundrum.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 February 14 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Will do Sillgen. I've been looking at some other family trees on Ancestry and there are a few ways this could go. It usually takes about three weeks till I get the certificate so I will probably delve into another brick wall in the meantime. ::)