Author Topic: Belshaws  (Read 2893 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belshaws
« on: Tuesday 04 February 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Belshaw,Newtownards Co Down 1750-1900s

Offline Lesley Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Belshaws
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Belshaws in newtownard areas if anyone has any information.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 March 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
You don't give any dates or names of the Belshaws you are looking for,my great gran was Jane Belshaw,1846-1904,her siblings were John,Mary,Margaret and Hugh.Their mother was Fanny McRoberts.If you are connected to this family let me know.Jane's brother John had a large family,10 children,maybe you are related to one of them?I hope you get in touch.

Offline Lesley Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
My great granny was Mary Ann Belshaw born ~1891, died 1937 who married Martin McMinn in 1911, dundonald. Her father was thomas Belshaw (b. ~1849) who married Sarah Hogg in 1888.  His father was Robert Belshaw.  Seems a different line?

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 March 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think you're right,they are two different families as I don't have a Thomas or Robert amongst my relatives.Good luck in finding more on your family.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
I've just had another look at your Belshaws,last time I didn't really take in the dates.You have a Thomas who died in 1849 and his father was Robert.It's difficult to know when Thomas was born as we don't know his age when he died.I would think that Robert would have been born late 1700s.As I said before my great gran was Jane Belshaw born 1844,hwer father was John but I don't know anything about his siblings,his father was James and again I don't know his siblings.I will try and find more info to see if those names come up.I know there was another Jane Belshaw in Co Antrim,her father was Richard,so maybe look there too.I'll get back with what I find.

Offline slowgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I am very intrigued by the story of my great-great grandmother, a widowed Irish immigrant, who on the eve of the American Civil War, was raising a 4 year old daughter alone and supporting herself as a milliner.  Here are such facts as I have:

Mary Belshaw Wentz was born circa 1835, in Belfast, accoring to family lore.  I can find nothing about her prior to the U.S. Federal 1860 Census which has this:  Mary Belshaw Kelly, milliner, widowed, living in Wilmington, Delaware with her 4-year old daughter, Jane Robinson Kelly.
Jane Robinson Kelly's 1949 death certificate lists her parents as Mary Belshaw and William J Kelly.  Jane was born in Philadelphia in 1856.  I can find no marriage records for them or death records for him.

Mary continued to work as a milliner until her death in 1885.  In the 1880 Census, she indicates that her mother was from Ireland and her father was from England.   The marriage of Charles F Wentz to Mrs. Mary M. Kelly at 2nd Baptist Church, Wilmington, DE is recorded in 1866.  Charles was a well-known railroad conductor who died in 1896. Together, Charles and Mary had 3 children: Ida, Charles, and Mary. Perhaps Jane Robinson Kelly, her first child, was named after Mary's mother.

I don't know if Mary married William in Ireland, or Philadelphia (birthplace of Jane.) I have seen ship lists with Mary Belshaws, but have no real proof of her immigration year. If someone has some Belfast Belshaw connections, I would love to hear from you.
Cleland, Belshaw, Robertson or Robinson, Crosbie, Correy, Boyd, Carson