Author Topic: Reaich Family  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reaich Family
« on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for information on a family that I've hit a dead end with.

William Reaich was born on 14th April 1897 at 21 Mid Street, Buckie in Scotland to William Reaich and Jessie Cowie.

Isabella Winchester Cowie, was born on 13th August 1900 in 4 William Street, Buckie to Mary Ellen Cowie

William and Isabella married on 23rd July 1920 at 54 Castle Street, Aberdeen in Scotland. They had two daughters, J and M (I'm putting the first letters of their names as they may be living) in the 1920s. I don't know when but they came out to Canada at some point, presumably when their daughters were growing up and it is possible that they have had more children/family out there.

William died on 8th March 1963 at Shaughnessy Hospital in Vancouver. According to his death certificate which I've seen his wife Isabella was still living. I just can't seem to find anything else on the family, his wife or daughters. I know his wife has died but I just don't know when, and I'm not sure about the daughters, it's quite probable that they married in Canada.

Would anyone be able to help me find information on the Reaich family? I found a website where I was able to look at death certificates in British Columbia hence why I found one for William, but I can't find one for Isabella. Although I don't have a death for Isabella I have her place down as Halifax for some reason, I think they may have lived there at some point, I'll have to check.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could help me find information on the Reaich's, it really is a mystery. I'm aware that their surname has spelling variations but I've still had no luck

Thanks!

Greg

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Reaich Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
The spelling on that death certificate for William is Riach rather than Reaich.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FLT3-59K

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Canada Voters List shows both William and Isabella at the 2315 West 10th Avenue address in 1962.

In 1953 they are living at 3554 Thirty-Third Avenue West Vancouver,. William Riach -  supervisor.
Mrs Isabella Riach and a married female (Mrs) with the surname Riach

Think that may be an error and the female is not married.

A 1962 Canada Voters List shows William and Isabella at the 2315 10th Avenue address.
At 2317 are a married couple - the female has the initial "M" and the "J" unmarried sister appears to be living there as well.

"J" appears on the Canada Voters List until 1974.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Think this is possibly the husband of daughter Riach - Ronald Hyder. Obit appears on the Daily Times Obit Index. Wondering if this death occurred Buckie Scotland  ???

Ronald Hyder - 89 years - Buckie SCT; Vanc Sun (BC); 2000-5-20; mumtaz

http://obits.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/obit.cgi?Surname=HYDER%2C%20Ronald&type=Keyword

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Mrs. Mary Hyder (Nee Riach) Born in Buckie, Scotland on November 1st, 1922 and passed away on November 9, 2008 in Huntly, Scotland.  Mary (Molly) is predeceased by her husband Ronald Hyder (2000)  Molly served in the RAF for 6 years during WWII. She achieved the rank of Flight Sergeant. She lived for 25 years in Vancouver where she raised her family and worked as a chiropodist. While in Vancouver Molly was very active in the local Scottish community and was an active member of the Moray, Nairn and Banff Association. After retiring she returned to Scotland, in 1976. Sister was alive and married at this date.

Will send full obit by pm with names of her family. Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 11/12/2008

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Mary Hyder crossed the border 23 September 1949 - Canada to the USA going to the Ohio College of Chiropody, Cleveland Ohio. Husband listed as Ronald. Had landed Halifax Nova Scotia 26-4-1949 on the Aquitania. Described as a student/housewife. Parents Mr and Mrs W A Riach, 1732 Kitchener Vancouver BC.

Ronald also crossed the border from Canada to the USA to Ohio College Of Chiropody which was the occupation both had in Vancouver.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Ronald Hyder was born 8 December 1911 Glasgow Scotland. Parents Mr and Mrs Edward Hyder, 404 Cumbernauld Road, Glasgow. Scotland. Occupation:- Chiropodist.  Landed Halifax Nova Scotia 26 April 1949. Aquitania

Ronald and Mary travelled to Canada on the Aquitania departing 19 April 1949. So they were already married before arriving in Canada.

Sandra

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for all of the information everyone, it was a great help. I had no idea that Mary had married and had returned to Buckie. The family name is actually spelt as 'Reaich' although it can be spelt as 'Riach', 'Reiach' etc. - too many variations!

I'm assuming Mary's family will still be in Buckie then, I don't know if her siblings will be there or if they are in Vancouver. On Mary's death index on ScotlandsPeople her surname is put down as 'Reaich' though when I put 'Cowie' in for the mothers maiden name nothing comes up so it's either spelt wrong or it's been left empty. I used a Scottish heritage website and found that Mary's husband Ronald died on 15th May 2000 at Seafield Hospital in Buckie.

I still haven't been able to find a trace on her mother Isabella, though. I can check Mary's death certificate when I'm able to as it'll list whether her mother is living or not, unless she lived to 108 which seems unlikely. I guess her children were born in Vancouver at the time. I'll try and find if her brother W was born in the UK or not. As for her sister J I think she must have married in Canada as I cannot find a marriage in Scotland. I'm assuming they are both living.

I'll keep trying and hope that I can find some information on Isabella!

Thanks

Greg

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
The young 6 year old brother was born in Scotland 1944/45 -  Given as 1944 when Jnr and Isabella arrived on UK Incoming Passenger List - New York to Southampton 18 oct 1950 on the Mauretania both going to 10 Seafield Drive. Aberdeen.

Everyone.