Author Topic: Coulson papers  (Read 2975 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Coulson papers
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
I'm researching some members of the Coulson family from Scarborough.  These reach back at least into the 17th century, and an awful lot of them were called John, so it's frustrating, especially as I don't live in Scarborough.  I notice from the A2A that Scarborough Central Library has in its collection the Coulson Papers.  I wondered if someone who frequents the Scarborough Central Library could take a look for me and see how extensive this archive is.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Sande

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Coulson papers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 03:26 BST (UK) »
I cannot help with the Scarborough Library lookup but am interested in the COULSON name. My great grandfather was also John COULSON born 1838 Slingsby, mother Mary COULSON father possibly Thomas Mitchell RENDELL/KENDELL. John came to Australia in 1884 with his wife Fanney SOLLITT and the first four of their children.

My Coulsons come from Coxwold and Kilburn to Hovingham and Slingsby in the late 1790s.

Sandra
Aus
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
HOOD - Wiltshire & Wales
GODDARD, DUMMER, ESCOTT - Wiltshire
WILLIAMS - Monmouth Wales
WALL - Somerset
COULSON, KENDELL/RENDELL, RAINFORTH - North Yorkshire
SOLLITT, DODSON, LAWSON, DRIFFIELD - North Yorkshire
SCALES & BAYES - East Yorkshire
EWART & SINCLAIR - Northumberland
EWART & ARMSTRONG - Cumberland
COMLEY - Middlesex
FERGUSON - Perthshire

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know this thread is VERY old but I came across it when I was trying to find out more about the "Coulson Papers" which I understand are at Scarborough Library in the archives section which is currently shut.

Did you ever find out what the papers contained? Does anyone else know? I am wondering if there is any mention in the papers of St Petersburg, Russia.

Normally I would happily go to Scarborough to check these papers out but I don't know when that is going to be possible.

Thanks for any help.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
To answer my own question - I emailed Scarborough Library and they very kindly looked through the Coulson Papers for me - no mention of Russia or St Petersburg at all  :'(

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk