Author Topic: Genes Reunited - Help Required Please?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Genes Reunited - Help Required Please?
« on: Friday 07 February 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Am I losing the plot? ::)

I've been a member of Genes Reunited for many years having taken out various subscriptions at different times. I am now just a standard member paying my fee every six months.

I have just tried to view my viewed census records in Keepsafe and Saved Records but find that I am required to pay for additional credits once again or another subscription.

I was under the impression that once I had viewed images etc. they would be continuously available for me to view again free of charge, as is the case with FIND MY PAST and SCOTLANDS PEOPLE.

Am I doing something wrong? :-\ :-\

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - Help Required Please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 February 14 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just received the following reply from GR which, I must say was very quick! I am still not sure I understand it though........

Dear ....

Thanks for your email.

If you attach a record to one of your relations you can view it again for free as long as you have a Platinum subscription.

If you buy a batch of 50 credits, you'll be able to see it again for as long as the credits are valid. So, if you attach a census image to your tree on the 5th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for another 25 days. If you buy a batch of 200 credits, you'll be able to see it again for 30 days or for as long as the credits are valid, whichever is shorter. So, if you attach a census image to your tree on the 5th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for 30 days. If you attach a census image to your tree on the 65th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for 25 days. After that you'll need to buy/use more credits to view the image again.

If it's a really important image you could save a copy of it to your PC and then you can view it again free of charge.

I hope this helps.
Alex Brett
Genes Reunited Support Team

===============================

I was of the opinion that once I had viewed records and census images
they would be available for me in "Keepsafe" or Saved Records. I find
that I am unable to refer to them again without buying further credits
or another subscription. This certainly isn't the case on Find My Past
or Scotlands People.

If I am unable to view my saved records without purchasing additional
credits then I am going to close my account with Genes Reunited.

What you state on your website under Keepsafe is totally untrue.

jUDY
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Judy,  :P don't think that response makes much sense! Have you had any further feedback since?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I've just received the following reply from GR which, I must say was very quick! I am still not sure I understand it though........

Dear ....

Thanks for your email.

If you attach a record to one of your relations you can view it again for free as long as you have a Platinum subscription.

If you buy a batch of 50 credits, you'll be able to see it again for as long as the credits are valid. So, if you attach a census image to your tree on the 5th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for another 25 days. If you buy a batch of 200 credits, you'll be able to see it again for 30 days or for as long as the credits are valid, whichever is shorter. So, if you attach a census image to your tree on the 5th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for 30 days. If you attach a census image to your tree on the 65th day after you bought the credits, you'll be able to see it again at no extra charge for 25 days. After that you'll need to buy/use more credits to view the image again.

If it's a really important image you could save a copy of it to your PC and then you can view it again free of charge.

I hope this helps.
Alex Brett
Genes Reunited Support Team

===============================

I was of the opinion that once I had viewed records and census images
they would be available for me in "Keepsafe" or Saved Records. I find
that I am unable to refer to them again without buying further credits
or another subscription. This certainly isn't the case on Find My Past
or Scotlands People.

If I am unable to view my saved records without purchasing additional
credits then I am going to close my account with Genes Reunited.

What you state on your website under Keepsafe is totally untrue.

jUDY
This is what they say under "How much do records cost"...
"It costs £5 for 50 credits. The credits last for 30 days and then expire. You can also buy 200 credits for £17.95. These credits last for 90 days.

If you purchase pay per view credits, you will only have continual access to the images you've viewed for the validity of the credits.  After that, you'll use credits to view them again.

If you have a Platinum subscription you have unlimited access to images you've viewed for the duration of the subscription"

I think the same does apply to FindMyPast (never used SP, so can't say), i.e if you stop paying them money in any way, shape or form, you lose you access to them.
I guess the logic is that you are not paying a one-off fee for access to the records from their server ad-infinitem. Whilst you have an active account (i.e. paying them) then they are free. So whilst you must have valid credits, you aren't actually using those credits to view the already-viewed records.
Best to just save them down to your PC and you will have them forever

Safest way is just to save anything you need to your PC.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Always, ALWAYS, download to your own computer!!!  Credits and access are finite  :P
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't want to divert to a discussion on SP but with them the images you have paid and viewed remain available to you always regardless of whether you have run out of credits or you have unused credits which you need to reactivate by buying more after 12 months.

ReadyDale, the snippet from the site makes more sense, it was just the wording of the email that didn't really  :P

Monica

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't want to divert to a discussion on SP but with them the images you have paid and viewed remain available to you always regardless of whether you have run out of credits or you have unused credits which you need to reactivate by buying more after 12 months.

ReadyDale, the snippet from the site makes more sense, it was just the wording of the email that didn't really  :P

Monica
Monica,
Talking of SP isn't really diverting too much, as it is the same company.
I agree the e-mail isn't the clearest. I think they tried to give real-life example to clarify, but actually made it worse. This was probably not helped by a couple of typos - mentioning 200 credits and 30 days in the same sentence, when 200 credits are live for 90 days

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »

....Talking of SP isn't really diverting too much, as it is the same company.

True...brightsolid seem to be taking over the UK Genealogy Records World  ;)

Monica

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I can get into all my saved records with Find My Past even though I currently have no credit!

I have downloaded some records from various sites to my computer but just thought it odd about GR's polcy.

I know what I shall be doing when I have to renew my GR subscription in June. ::)

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire