Author Topic: James family of Co Carlow  (Read 13439 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James family of Co Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 September 15 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo, I know that you could marry if you were of mixed religion but whether you had to convert or not I cannot tell you. In saying that, I have come across many marriages where the spouses are noted to be of a different religion but, the children are baptised in one religion or the other and stay with the church they are baptised in. As to rootsireland, if you want to wait a couple of days my subscription renews and I could check for the people you are looking for. The records on rootsireland are transcriptions of the parish registers that are on microfilm. The only thing I find about the site is that because of different name spellings (depending on whom recorded the record), you could be on site all day and still not find a record that is in the parish registers. Also, having done transcribing of various registers, they don't seem to record some of the harder to read entries. I am glad to look if you like. Thank you for the info about SA. I contacted ancestry.gov.za about a death cert which should take about 10 weeks, a bit slow but if I get it that would be a start. Le me know if I can help further, Kim

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Carlow-Myshall Adelaide cemetery; (Headstones)
---------------------------
Charlotte Elizabeth (Lily) James; (nee Peavoy) Rosslea; 25/4/1998 (57)
------------------
Frederick James; Clonee; 9/2/1969 (60)
wife-Emily (nee Sixsmith); 11/11/1984 (80)
------------------------
Mary James; Roslea; 1/3/1968 (82)
sister-Ann; 16/10/1969 (79)
sister-Emily Elizabeth; 15/7/1982 (94)
sister-Rebecca; 10/9/1984 (90)
--------------------
Sarah Sophia James; Roslea; 17/5/1978 (94)
----------------------------------
John Hope James; Clashcanny; 8/10/1942 (83)
wife-Sarah Sophia; 20/10/1946 (86)
---------------------------
George James; Clonee; 19/9/1928 (65)
eldest son-Thomas Samuel; 19/12/1941 (42) died New Zealand
wife-Maud CM; 10/7/1945 (29)
--------------------------
John Lucas (Sean) James; Clashcanny; 21/3/2009 (83)
wife-Margaret Elizabeth; 26/8/1985 (89)
============================
Jack

Offline johugo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 September 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Don't know if you are still linked to this thread...

Last year you helped me with a James family lookup.

Almost a year ago you asked: "I am looking to get a death cert for someone who died in 1933 Krugerdorf,South Africa. Would you know where to get this cert? If I can help more, please don't hesitate to let me know. Kim"

I now know a whole lot more about navigating South African records, and in the last few months familysearch.org has released browsable digital images of death notices / estate papers for the former Transvaal covering that period. They not only include the death notice, which can give detailed information on up to three generations, but also the will (if there was one) and estate accounts.

If you still want info, please let me have the full name and any spouse/s, and I will see if I can locate these papers for you...

Kind regards, Jo

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo, haven't been doing much online as of late-work commitments. I have found a few bits on the eggsa website but am baffled by a couple of things. Would you know whom to contact for dispatches that were sent to that area? I am looking for correspondence that may relate to one of two relations I seek. Also, another person located for me one page of an estate file concerning the relation that died in 1933 but the rest of the file isn't there. I'm wondering if there is any way to find where the rest of the file is as it has left more questions than answers and I would like to see if I can glean any other info about him. Lastly, do you know of any comprehensive list anywhere of people who died in fires in SA between 1855-1910, like hotel fires etc. Any answers you nmay be able to give on this multitude of questions would be very helpful. Again, if I can help in anyway just let me know. Regards,Kim

Offline johugo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

Go to: http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?20150803105625DE77C86A&DN=00000034
> TAB
> enter search criteria (better surname first and then other names)
a very unpromising looking page will come up showing results - click on 'results summary' in the bar
if you find anything there you can get the file details by clicking on the result
if the file is a death notice / estate file (up to 1950), it will have the code MHG, and you can find the images by browsing appropriate date / file ref nos at: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/188051 - many of these have multiple pages with the will and accounts included
if it is another type of file (like hotel fire reports - possibly!), you can order photos of the file through the EGGSA online shop for a very modest fee

You can also search the SAB and RSA sections which are not area specific.

If you don't come right with above, let me have the name/s and I will check for you...

Jo

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 September 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
Jo,thanks so much for that. As soon as I get a spare moment I will follow the info you gave me and let you know how I get on. One of the relations, Robert Gilmour (Gilmore) supposedly went to S.A. on board the Gipsy Queen and it is said he died in a hotel fire but no one is sure where. I was thinking perhaps S.A. but ?????? The other James Gilmour died June 1933 and I need to find the rest of his will as the  1 page found is odd in relation to other facts I have found out about him. Thanks so much and will be back soon. Kim
PS If you need anything from my neck of the woods,let me know.

Offline johugo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 September 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
hi kim

i found the following file:

the only james gilmour i can find who died in 1933 - death notice and account images at: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91Q-FV8X?i=463&cat=331262

James.
GILMOUR.
Year of Death
Municipality
Cape Town.
Source
Cape Town Death Certificates 1933.
Image Reference

KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/4291                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 38215                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          GILMOUR, JAMES. ESTATE PAPERS.                                       
STARTING  19330000                                                             
ENDING    19330000

i have a whole lot of others that may be relevant, but can't post them here, as the list is too long for this system!

if you let me have your email address, i'll send them to you...

kind regards, jo