Author Topic: Crailinghall and Crailing Hall - are they the same?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crailinghall and Crailing Hall - are they the same?
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am having a bit of trouble with old geography.  I have found the village of Crailing, and the village of Crailinghall near Jedburgh.  However I have also have a Crailing Hall but can find no mention of it anywhere else. Is it Crailinghall, or is it a Hall in Crailing?

The baptismal record that has started this confusion:  November 22nd 1772 in the Crailing Parish records.
"James Mitchel and Jane Young his wife in Crailing Hall in the Parish of Jedburgh well attested had a son Baptized this day named William"

It was the "well attested" that made me think he was not baptised in Crailing.  And the Crailing and Hall are definitely two words.  Am I wrong? :o

Cheers Barbara

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crailinghall and Crailing Hall - are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the very useful ScotlandsPlaces website (http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk), there is a Crailing Hall in the village of Crailinghall, which is in the parish of Jedburgh. And there is a Crailing House in the village of Crailing, which is in the parish of Crailing (sometimes called Crailing and Nisbet).

The website is a subscription site, but it has a lot of worthwhile information about old places and people paying old taxes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
The Crailing is the Village - Crailinghall is a nearby Farm about a mile up of the Minor Road between Crailing and Oxnam.  Crailing House is the main House for the area, part of the Lothian Estate which also includes areas around Crailing, Ancrum, Nisbet, Jedburgh, etc.

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks landj and terianne, appreciate the help.
I have used the Scottishplaces website a bit without a subscription, but hadn't found the Crailing Hall in Crailinghall. 
They do like to make it confusing!  :)
cheers Barbara