Author Topic: Name Change: Douglas to Drysdale  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name Change: Douglas to Drysdale
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please assist with information on the above change of family name which I believe was
recorded in the Dunfermline press on 30 Sept.,1863?
Henry. Dalrymple. Ross. Rogerson. Bruty. Clark.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Name Change: Douglas to Drysdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Solway

Sorry, more info is needed if you need assistance or comments  :-\

Douglas to Drysdale is not to be expected. More info needed for people to be able to try to help I would think...

The majority of people will have no access to the Dunfermline Press unfortunately.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
There is an article in the Dunfermline Press on that date called The Origins of the Drysdales of Dollar. That is all that comes up from a search of Drysdale or Douglas. You could get the article either from the British Newspaper Archive( Register and they let you have a few free credits.) or from FindMyPast again using credits.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please assist with information on the above change of family name which I believe was
recorded in the Dunfermline press on 30 Sept.,1863?

This is the story that I always hear about the origin of my family name:

http://cdsna.squarespace.com/drysdale/
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
The article in the Dunfermline Press of September 30 1863 tallies with the story quoted in the link supplied by skida. In addition it mentions the names of individuals who have preserved and copied this story.

Dod

Offline russelllynndrysdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
''This is the story that I always hear about the origin of my family name:''

http://cdsna.squarespace.com/drysdale/

''It should be noted, however, that the following story does not account for the genesis of the name Drysdale but only for the connection of Drysdale to the House of Douglas.'' Harold Eddington points out on the Clan Douglas Society of North America Page

the genesis of the name Drysdale no one knows the date , however there are records that predate this story  Hugh of Dryfesdale was recorded in 1274 on the quitclaim of the lands of Todrig , Recorded in Latin , with plenty of witnesses , look on the POMS site , also court records listed Gawaine and John Dryfesdale and 4 others were granted a Royal pardon in 1489 by the King for charges of  what boiled down to treason , The name Drysdale [ how ever you want to spell it ]  was already in use in 1503  we have all read the same story , with the title claiming ''the creation of the Drysdale family'' , that is nothing but road apples , pure and simple road apples
 No Douglas ''created'' my family , what they did ''create'' was trouble for their self , and then they merely used our name to  not have any more trouble , if there is any truth to the document  at all.......
Also  I wonder why the Johnstones have no record of this beef with their own spin on it ?. if they do I havent found it yet ....

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:31 BST (UK) »

No Douglas ''created'' my family , what they did ''create'' was trouble for their self , and then they merely used our name to  not have any more trouble , if there is any truth to the document  at all.......
Also  I wonder why the Johnstones have no record of this beef with their own spin on it ?. if they do I havent found it yet ....

I am aware of the earlier existence of our name, and my above post was a response to the question posted about the name change.

Since first reading the story of the errant Douglas family I have spent many spells trying to find supporting evidence, and other than the Drysdale name springing up in the Clackmannan, Dollar and Dunfermline area, there doesn't seem to be anything to be found.

Looking first at the story:

I have looked at many old maps, some about 300 years old, and after scouring the length of the River Dryfe and its valley, I found no trace of Brushwood Haugh or Greenstone Hill. If they existed, at the time of the story the chances are that at least one of the names would have survived until the late 1700s/early 1800s. There was nothing similar to be found anywhere on the old maps.

By 1503, Edinburgh had been established as the capital, yet the story mentions that a record of the fracas had been carried to the king and of the tocsin being sounded. I assume that a journey from Dryfesdale to Holyrood would have taken some time back then, and for a Royal Decree to be brought back, we would probably be talking about 4 to 7 days. The story reads as though the situation developed maybe overnight.

So what happens when these Douglas brothers decide to flee from the King's wrath? They head northeast towards Edinburgh and then into a part of Fife that would be on one of the routes from Edinburgh to Stirling Castle. The story in fact mentions the King passing through on just such a journey.

On the balance of probabilities, I think the story may have been wildly exaggerated or even totally fabricated.

However: It is true that a strong branch of the Drysdales sprang up in Clackmannan/Dollar area and this is where my family came from.
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline russelllynndrysdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
skida ,
Give me a holler ,in re:  William Drysdale and Helen Renny  my email (*)

'' WILLIAM DRYSDALE , servant in Easter Gellet and Helen Renny , his spouse had a son , born April 28th , 1748 , baptized May 13th by the foresaid Mr. Ralph Erskine . Named John ; Whitness , John Anderson , farmer in Wester Gellet , and Alexander Strouth , weaver there . ''

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline PandaBud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Brushwood Haugh. I've looked for this too and haven't been able to find it on old maps. A long time ago, before I was even in my teens, we were in Lockerbie and my dad visited the local library for information. They sent him eastwards to the rivers Corrie and Milk. There was a 3rd river mentioned but I can't remember it. Sorry, I don't know where they got this info from or exactly what it was. Old farm maps? County maps?