Author Topic: Luck family Goudhurst  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luck family Goudhurst
« on: Monday 10 February 14 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for ancestors or sibblings of Jacob Luck born C1725 in Goudhurst who married Mary Reynolds in 1750 also in Goudhurst.

There appears to be a theory on Ancestory that his name was in fact John Jacob Luck and that he was the son of Abraham Luck and Elizabeth Bailey and christened in Pembury, but there does not seem to be any evidence of this.

There is one other possible link or coincidence, namely Mary Reynolds had a sister Elizabeth. An Elizabeth Reynolds married Isaac Luck in Aylesford 1735 but also lived and had a family in Goudhurst. Could this be a case of two brothers marrying two sisters, but again no evidence and have also been unable to trace the birth of this Isaac.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Luck family Goudhurst
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I have searched the transcriptions of Goudhurst parish registers that I have and found the marriage you refer to;
1750 Oct 9 Jacob LUCK & Mary? REYNOLS by Banns [as transcribed]

However I cannot find the baptism of Jacob LUCK in 1725. LUCK is a popular name in Goudhurst, especially from the 1730s onwards,  and there are many Jacob LUCKs, but not one at around that time. (In fact there was no child with the name Jacob of any surname baptised in Goudhurst from 1655 until the child in 1760, the son of your Jacob - see below). Perhaps he was baptised in a different parish?

Children of Jacob & Mary baptised at Goudhurst were;
1751 Jul 19 Mary D of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1753 Dec 25 Ellizabeth D of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1760 Nov 16 Jacob S of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1761 Dec 25 Thomas S of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1763 Dec 16 Jacob S of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1764 May 21 Walter S of Jacob & Mary LUCK
1766 Apr 16 William S of Jacob & Mary LUCK

I can also see 8 children baptised to Isaac and Elizabeth LUCK from 1736 to 1753.