Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 4810 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 February 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Sorry not to get back to you earlier but the computers where really playing up and I just hadn't got all the research done.
Now I have got an answer for you ,but I would like to strike a note of caution.We are assuming that the 1841 census is correct and therefore Thomas Harding was born 1765/6 if however he died back in Westminster sometime after 1818 the last Poll entry I can find and before 1841 then all that is wrong.So you should look at the burials 1818-1841 at St Margaret s Westminster and check he didn't die there.
Anyway this is what I think is his family ,bear with me when I explain why because there are a lot of Hardings and this is a bit short on facts.The records for Westminster where the family came from aren't generally on line and I've had to go with partial  indexes.
So those Westminster Voting lists are on London Lives webstite and your Thomas is on there 1790-1818.He also appears on there as a juror at the Westminster coroner's court:-

Thomas Harding Tothill St Chandler 1794

Now this suggests at the beginning he was supplying food etc to ships and boats.Now 26 is a little young to be amongst the super rich able to vote  so i looked for someone doing the same job in the area who might be related.

Thomas Harding Victualler Long Acre St Martins in the Fields 1774-1816.

A victualler could be a publican but can also be a supplier of food to the Navy of Merchant ships.

He dies 1816 and is buried at Paddington St Mary 1.4.1816 age 69 Long Acre St Martin in the fields. His Will is proven at the Canterbury  Court 4.1.1816(I can send you that if you pm me your email address).
He mentions his wife Sarah ,nephew Edward Robert Harding ,butcher Pheonix Alley Long Acre  ,first cousin Richard plumber Whitechapel and Sarah Shoud wife of John pork butcher(turns out to be wife's niece ).Afraid no mention of his children because he leaves most things to his wife.
Sarah was buried at Paddington 2.6.1824 age 72 from Drury lane St Martins in the fields.(her Will mentions married sister Ann and her  5 children including Sarah Shoud).

I think this is Thomas's father and mother .There is a possible baptism at St Ann's Soho on familysearch.
Thomas Hardin born 30.9.1766 bap 11.11.1764 to Thomas and Nicholls Hardin.
I haven't seen the original but worth a look.
The nephew Edward Robert Harding is the son of Isaac and Martha Harding.Their children are all baptised at St Anne's Soho
Thomas Phillip 7/2/1781 ,bap 1.3.
Isaac 2/9/ and 24/9/1782
Edward Robert 12/4/1784 and 10.5.1784
Isaac 19.4.1787 and 11.6.1787.

The Isaac and Martha  married at St George Hanover Square 10.1.1776(her maiden name Holder) and he was a pork butcher.On the Westminster 1780 voting list Newport Market.
He was also buried at St Mary Paddington 8.11.1810 from Martlebone age 57 ,so born 1753.
So we have 2 brothers
Thomas Harding 1747-1816 and Isaac 1753-1810.

I could speculate further but you NEED those records from Westminster archives.
Sorry not to be more definite ,I did my best.

Ciderdrinker