Author Topic: Bastardy records  (Read 9089 times)

Offline Snow White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 February 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Shame there are no records but there are very few are in existence. I presume Sally didn't name one when she married either.

Rosie
Did you ask the archives what (if any) bastardy records exist for this parish and whether this child was shown?

Rosie, on Sally's (Sarah)marriage certificate father was recorded as John Stamp who was her grandfather's name.

Edward

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 February 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Typical, though they are often made up anyway.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snow White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 February 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
What would be made up?
Sorry I don't understand.
Sylvia

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 February 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Poor Laws didn't start until 1834 and so that is when you are likley to find the several types of Bastardy Records, the only other place to look is the parish record and I have found information in those ( not transcriptions online which miss them off) You could try Links to the Past website and search and see if they have anything written on them, if they have the images of Waddington http://www.lincstothepast.com/SearchResults.aspx?cmd=type&val=img

Bastardy Bonds/Agreements determined which adult male was to support a child. Where a child was without parents, the parish would try and find an apprenticeship for them to relieve the burden on the parish funds. These can date from 1601 to 1834.
Bastardy Bond: entered into by a bondsmen and sureties to say that they will indemnify the parish to which the child is chargeable from all costs (mainly found before 1800)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 February 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
What would be made up?
Sylvia
The fathers name would sometimes be made up
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snow White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 February 14 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Poor Laws didn't start until 1834 and so that is when you are likley to find the several types of Bastardy Records, the only other place to look is the parish record and I have found information in those ( not transcriptions online which miss them off) You could try Links to the Past website and search and see if they have anything written on them, if they have the images of Waddington http://www.lincstothepast.com/SearchResults.aspx?cmd=type&val=img

Bastardy Bonds/Agreements determined which adult male was to support a child. Where a child was without parents, the parish would try and find an apprenticeship for them to relieve the burden on the parish funds. These can date from 1601 to 1834.
Bastardy Bond: entered into by a bondsmen and sureties to say that they will indemnify the parish to which the child is chargeable from all costs (mainly found before 1800)

Thank you for your input.
I have been in contact with Links to the past and there was nothing for Waddingham.
Sylvia

Offline Snow White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 February 14 00:30 GMT (UK) »
What would be made up?
Sylvia
The fathers name would sometimes be made up
Thanks again Rosie.
Sally/Sarah's mother was Elizabeth Stamp and he father was John Stamp and Sarah (Green) Stamp..
It all becomes tangled so easily but Ill keep looking and chugging along.
Many thanks

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 February 14 01:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been in contact with Links to the past and there was nothing for Waddingham.

Try this images of Waddingham baptism PRs 1827 page

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Baptisms/501479.record?ImageId=198807&pt=T

they also have many other images of records too http://www.lincstothepast.com/SearchResults.aspx?cmd=type&val=img
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 February 14 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth may have had another Child GEORGE Baptised 14 Aug 1831, St Andrew, Willoughton
He was Buried same Church 12 October 1831 (infant)
(FreeREG)

I see that Sally is Sarah Stamp in 1841 where she is with her Mother Elizabeth now married to Joseph Ladlow.
Elizabeth and Siblings Christenings are on FreeREG also.

In case you dont have the Marriage date of John/Sarah it was 17 May 1803, St Peter, Bottesford
Witnesses, Wm FRANKISH and William GREEN
(FreeREG)

Now Joseph Ladlow was in Willoughton in 1831 where JANE Ladlow was Baptised 12 Dec 1830 to JOSEPH/ANN
(FreeREG)
+
THOMAS, 25 March 1827, Bishop Norton (Familysearch.Org)

There is a Death Reg for a ANN Ladlow, March 1839, Caistor, 14 221
Joseph and Elizabeths Marriage Reg was Sept 1839 Caistor

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)