Author Topic: Passports in 1888  (Read 4736 times)

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passports in 1888
« on: Wednesday 12 February 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if a passport was needed to go to Australia in 1888?  Did you just turn up and get on a boat?

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passports in 1888
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
the short answer is yes on find my  past the passport records start in 1851 but I have read somewhere that passports of a kind were needed before then but I can,t remember where I saw it .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I seem to remember reading that passports weren't required for travelling from a British territory to another British territory.

I'll see if I can locate it.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to this article, although passports had been issued for a long time. they were not generally required until the first world war:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/nov/17/travelnews

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Before the First World War it was not compulsory for someone travelling abroad to apply for a passport.
Possession of a passport was confined largely to merchants and diplomats, and the vast majority of those travelling overseas had no formal documents. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/passports.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 21:50 GMT (UK) »
At the moment I am not near my offline resources and it could be a fortnight before I am able to get to them.  I am quite sure that it was not until around Nov 1915 that it became compulsory for any British Subject not in the military, but who was seeking to leave the UK to have a current passport for travel outside of the UK.    I have understood this requirement was more about ensuring males were not trying to avoid conscription into the army.   

In the 1880s, there was no legislative requirement from any of the seven parliaments of the British Colonies in the Antipodes for British Subjects to present passports on landing in (or to seek visas to enter)  any of those Colonies (New South Wales, Tasmania, Western Australia, South Australia, New Zealand, Victoria or Queensland)   Each of those British Colonies was a separate British Colony.   “Australia” in the 1880s was referring to the Continent of Australia.   Six of those seven colonies were federated into one British Colony effective from 1 Jan 1901, so in the 1880s each of those colonies was responsible for their own “Border Security”.   

Perhaps some of the British based RChatters can follow up on my thoughts of  Nov 1915 being commencement of compulsory British Passports.   

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM   Oops, I should add, I am NSW centric. 

ADD  National Archives of Australia fact sheet re citizenship
 http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs187.aspx
and
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/_pdf/cit_chron_policy_law.pdf
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Mr Google is quicker than me  ;D  ;D  ;D

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/HistoryOfPassports/PassportExhibition.aspx

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y0z/   (There's some history for 'passports' over the centuries ! )

edit to add shrunken link instead of the longer one there originally.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
From that shrunken link's PDF “Every Assistance and Protection”, from part of one paragraph on page 34 (of 256)

" Britain’s abolition of the passport for travel within the empire in 1826, and the conditions placed on applicants wishing to travel to foreign countries, resulted in the infrequent issuance of British passports the mid to late 19th century. The conditions were that British passports were issued ‘only to individuals known personally to the Secretary for Foreign Affairs, senior members of government, or travellers in the colonies known to the consular staff’, or when identity could be certified by personal knowledge of a member of the upper classes. Salter notes that these stipulations are a reflection of the class system in Britain.50   But it must also be noted that, during this period, the majority leaving Britain were assisted or free immigrants departing for a new life in the settler colonies of the empire, for which there was no requirement to hold a passport. As a consequence, there are few surviving examples held in Australian archives.51 "

50 is footnote for : Mark Salter, Rights of Passage: the Passport in International Relations, Lynne Reinner
Publications, Boulder, Colorado, 2003, p. 26.
51 is footnote for :  Radhika Viyas Mongia, ‘Race, Nationality, Mobility: A History of the Passport’, Public Culture, 1999, vol. 11, pt. 3, p. 533, observes that the ‘extensive annual Emigration Proceedings, published by the Emigration Branch of the Government of (British) India from 1871, contain no index entries for the term ‘passport’ for thirty-five years’.
Australian State and National archives and libraries are similarly placed.

Cheers,  JM

Offline LouiseB12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Passports in 1888 COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 February 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Excellent responses.  Thanks very much. 

Regards Louise