Author Topic: John Maclaren or Maclearn  (Read 3624 times)

Offline JILLIAN89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Maclaren or Maclearn
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
hi
i would love some help in finding out the birth details of John Maclaren or Maclearn. Details that i do have are that he married Anne Rogerson on 15 th June 1788 -----possibly in Eglingham. They had a son Thomas who was born 8 June 1806 in Branton northumberland. Any help in finding details of Johns birth would be appreciated
Thank you
Jillian

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Maclaren or Maclearn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to rootschat 
a possible birth? :-\ john mcleran born  6 oct 1761 christened 11 oct  1761  at groat market meeting NC-Newcastle on tyne,father Daniel mcleran.

anne rogerson born 1765 wooler Northumberland parents William rogerson & Barbara Atkinson

james maclaren born 1802 northumberland
Thomas  maclaren born 1806 northumberland

Offline JILLIAN89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
hi
thank you so much for your help
very much appreciated
jillian

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can’t shed any light on John’s baptism but would suggest that the one found by Doran54 could be correct.  There’s obviously a Presbyterian connection as all their children were baptised at Branton Presbyterian church.

Do you have details of all 8 children or would you like me to list them?

Christine

Offline Clarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I'm also researching this John McLaren - I'm a descendant of his son James.  I have all the details of his children (thanks) and found his grave in Beadnell with his in-laws. Jillian: I'll send you a pm.

I'm not sure whether the Newcastle connection above is correct, since he didn't call any of his sons Daniel and neither (as far as I can tell) did his children.  They weren't very original when it came to names and the same crop up religiously every generation.

Or maybe nobody liked him  ;)

I'd wondered whether he was Scottish, given the Presbyterian link.  Having said that, I'm no further forward.  Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've hit a brick wall. I've traced some Eglingham relatives back to the 1600's, but haven't got anywhere with John McLaren.

And if anyone's on a lucky streak, I can't find anything for Barbara Atkinson either.

Many thanks,

Clarrie
Sunderland/Ireland: Coyne, Patterson, Cane, Kane, Purdy, Gildea, Layden, Conlon, McAllister, Ruddy
Northumberland: Mosman, Miller, Alder, Atkinson,
South Shields/Belfast: Purdy, Johnson
Newcastle /Ireland: Layden, Doyle
Sunderland/Northumberland: McLaren
Liverpool/Ireland/Sunderland: Caine, Kane, Lavell, Macnamara
Ireland (Wexford): Wafer, Kavanagh, McGuire, Byrne, Hughes
Ireland (wicklow/Dublin): Ryan, Toole, Brien
Ireland (Belfast): Purdy, Pye
Ireland (Mayo): Kane, MacNamara, Lavelle

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
Given that they regularly used the same Christian names - were there any Donalds in the family?  Freereg has a Presbyterian baptism of a John McLaren in North Shields (1757) with a father Donald.

Given the surname there could be a Scottish connection but Northumberland does have a strong Presbyterian presence - particularly the further north you go.

Christine

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that for some reason the name Donald can sometimes evolve to Daniel or David, whether it's transcription errors or to differentiate I don't know  ???

Donald is definitely a Scottish name.

I was helping someone a while ago with the name McLaren.

I have a John McLaren b c1785 Edinburgh married to Charlotte (surname unknown) b England

Their children (all b Edinburgh)

Isabella c 1818
John c 1821
Sarah Tudor c 1821 - 1824 (only 1 with a middle name)
Gordon c 1826

Could only get info. from census, could find no baptisms nor a marriage for John & Charlotte.

Ring any bells  ???

Annie

ADDED......

Sarah Tudor McLaren married William MacDonald 1853 Edinburgh

Children born Boston, Lincs

Allan Gordon Charles Hope MacDonald b 1855
Hector McLean MacDonald 1857

NO John either in their names  ;)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline SimonSacha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 April 21 07:44 BST (UK) »
Kia ora koutou,

I know I am very late to this chat but I am also looking for information about John Maclaren/Maclearn/Maclarn who married Ann/e Rogerson on June 15 1788. We are descendants of his through his son Adam who was born September 7, 1799, in Alnwick, Northumberland.

We live in Aotearoa/New Zealand under the surname Maclarn. John is the furthest we can trace the name Maclarn but I cannot find any evidence of this name existing before him. I have found a record that shows he was married under the name Maclearn which makes me wonder if Maclarn was not his real name? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 04:03 BST (UK) »
"I have found a record that shows he was married under the name Maclearn which makes me wonder if Maclarn was not his real name?"

In the era relative here, there was no definite spelling on any/many surnames which began with Mc/Mac nor any other name.

I wouldn't get hung up on the spelling of the name on any/all records.

I've seen a surname with 3 variants on 1 document!

Genealogy becomes more fascinating & harder the further back in time we go i.e. an open mind is essential to incorporate any possibilities in our research.

There was so much to consider as many people were illiterate i.e. the scribe would be the one to decide on the spelling which he thought to be either correct or how he thought it ought to be.

Spelling of names didn't really become 'fact' or 'settled' until the early 1900s when more people were literate.

However, there are families i.e. siblings who have carried on in those times with different spellings from previous generations.

I'm a 'MacK' but my much older brother used 'Mack'...not a lot of difference between a capital 'K' & a lower case 'k' but it makes a lot of difference to each of our families when signing our surnames which have both carried on to this day.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"