Author Topic: Is Anyone Going to the Kendal Record Office? Need STUBBS Help, please!  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Is Anyone Going to the Kendal Record Office? Need STUBBS Help, please!
« on: Monday 17 February 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and thanks in advance.

Am looking for someone who is going to the record office in Kendal. I live in Ohio (US), so it's a bit far for me to run over there (smile). This is what I need to see (well, all right, this is the MINIMUM I'd like to see, if you know what I mean). You'd have to become a tried-and-true friend to look up everything I'd like to see (smile) . . .

Orton Parish Registers (BM&D)
Surname of STUBBS (and any of the various spellings)
From the Very Earliest to 1850. If this is asking too much, you could just go to somewhere close to 1800. I don't want to inconvenience anyone.

A nice gal here on Rootschat has already looked for me during these years, so you won't need to read through these:
1712 - 1723
1740 - 1745(/6)

I would love to see these, too:
Kendal Death Records (I'd like full transcriptions, please, as I already have the dates)
STUBBS, ISABELLA, died 06 Sep 1840
STUBBS, JOHN, died 24 Jan 1862
WILLIAMS, Thomas, died 02 Sep 1862
WILLIAMS, Mary, died 03 Mar 1864

I believe that I've got all the info that can be gleaned online. The Orton registers aren't availble on microfilm. That's why I need someone to take a quick look for me.

ALL Stubbs people in Westmorland are related. I'd always take anything else that anyone gleans. Thank you so much, in advance, for any help that you can offer. And remember that I'm available for anything in Knox or Morrow County, Ohio (smile). Probably a bit unlikely, but stranger things have happened in the world of researching, eh?

Regards,
Janis

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone Going to the Kendal Record Office? Need STUBBS Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 February 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've found basic burial details for Isabella on FamilySearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J8DM-D4H

The film can be ordered to view at LDS centres.

For death details (where/when/cause etc.) you would probably need to order a copy of the certificate from the GRO (cost £9.25).

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 February 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for taking the time to look. As I mentioned, I've got everything that can be found online, I think. I thought about ordering the death certs but assumed that the Kendal Archive was holding those as well. Now that you mention it, though, I should just go ahead and order them (just the $$ stopping me), since they won't be at the Archives. It's really the Orton parish registers that I'm crazy to see, and the LDS hasn't photographed them or made them available on reel, yet.

Regards,
Janis

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 14 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If all Stubbs' in Westmorland are related do you have the Appleby and Murton ones ?
1830   Stubbs   Stubbs   Elizabeth   Bongate Bp   Mother of Richard   St Michaels BMD
1788   Stubbs   Stubbs   Emma   Murton Bp   Mother of Richard St Michael BMD
1749   Stubbs   Stubbs   Fanny   Murton Bp   Mother of Thomas   St Michaels BMD
1788   Stubbs   Stubbs   George   Murton Bp   Son of Matthew   St Michaels BMD
1792   Stubbs   Stubbs   George   Murton Bp   Father of Thomas   St Michaels BMD
1829   Stubbs   Stubbs   George   Orton M              Father of Joseph   St Michaels BMD
1792   Stubbs   Stubbs   James   Murton Bp   Mason                St Michael BMD
1830   Stubbs   Stubbs   James   Bongate Bp   Emma Satterthwaite   St Michael BMD
1830   Stubbs   Stubbs   James   Bongate Bp   Father of Richard S   St Michael BMD
1752   Stubbs   Stubbs   Joseph   Murton Bp   Son of Geo & Mary   St Michaels BMD
1749   Stubbs   Stubbs   Mary   Murton Bp   nee Borrowdale   St Michaels BMD
1792   Stubbs   Stubbs   Mary   Murton Bp   Dau of Matthew   St Michaels BMD
1792   Stubbs   Stubbs   Mary   Murton Bp   Mother of Joseph   St Michaels BMD
1752   Stubbs   Stubbs   Matthew   Murton Bp   Father of George   St Michaels BMD
1787   Stubbs   Stubbs   Matthew   Murton Bp   Father of Mary   St Michaels BMD
1830   Stubbs   Stubbs   Richard   Bongate Bp   Miner   St Michael BMD
1831   Stubbs   Stubbs   Richard   Hilton Bp   Son of Wm & Eliza   St Michaels BMD
1831   Stubbs   Stubbs   Richard   Hilton Bp   Son of Richard  &  Sarah   St Michael BMD
1831   Stubbs   Stubbs   Richard   Hilton Bp   Father of Richard   St Michael BMD
1831   Stubbs   Stubbs   Richards S   Hilton Bp Son of James  &  Emma   St Michael BMD
1788   Stubbs   Stubbs   Sarah   Murton Bp   Mother of Richard   St Michael BMD
1787   Stubbs   Stubbs   Thomas   Murton Bp   Son of Geo & Fanny   St Michaels BMD
1670   Stubbs   Stubbs   William   Appleby   Labourer   St Michaels BMD
1787   Stubbs   Stubbs   William   Murton Bp   Father of Richard   St Michaels BMD
The reason for Double surnames is that some of the entries have variations in Spelling
regards
Westmorland

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your time. I have those names, as I regularly glean on FamilySearch and Ancestry. I've had several reels into our local library, and it's always the same thing. You can get back to about 1740, and then -- wham -- a brick wall. They're coming from a place that isn't transcribed, yet, and I believe that it may be Orton. I keep narrowing it down, and Orton seems to be the most likely. If I could fly over and spend a day in Kendal, I'd figure this thing out (smile). I'm afraid, though, that I'll have to wait on a kind soul to do the hunting for me. I'm patient. Been at this a long time, and these folks aren't going anywhere . . . That's what my daughters say to me, anyway, when I get anxious (smile again).

Janis