Author Topic: Sarah Bedingfield born abt 1756  (Read 2975 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Bedingfield born abt 1756
« on: Monday 17 February 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking for baptism and parents of Sarah Bed(d)ingfield. She married William Ingate in Beccles on 9 April 1782. She died in Kirby Cane on 9 March 1793. Her age at death gives an approximate year of birth of 1756. The Ingates were well established in Kirby Cane so I suspect that Beccles was where Sarah originated. But it could be just her abode immediately before marriage rather than her birthplace.
During her relatively short marriage Sarah gave birth to 4 children:
William (bapt May 1783), Sarah (bapt Sept 1784), Samuel (bapt Nov 1789) and another William (bapt Dec 1792). The first son was presumably named William after his father and paternal grandfather. The first William died in 1785, but instead of reusing the name for the second son, they called him Samuel and only reused William when the third son was born. This makes me suspect that Sarah's father was called Samuel, there being no other Samuels in the Ingate family previously.
Also when the sons William and Samuel married and had family they both called one of their sons Samuel.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Bedingfield born abt 1756
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Beccles St Michaels parish register.

William Ingate of Kirby Cane Norfolk singleman
Sarah Bedingfield OTP singlewoman
Married April 9th 1782
Both signed their names
In presence of William Pleasants and Elizabeth Bedingfield

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I checked the baptisms at Beccles but could not see a good match for Sarah there.  A much earlier Sarah Bedingfield d/o John and Martha 19th May 1715 but no close matches ~1756.

I also checked surrounding parishes Worlingham, North Cove, Barnby, Barsham, Shadingfield, Shipmeadow, Weston, Ringsfield, Westhall, Bungay.  These are all transcribed and indexed btw so not as time consuming as it sounds  ;)

In Shadingfield a Cornelius and Sarah Bedingfield baptised Cornelius 19 Jan 1760, Elizabeth 25th April 1762, Samuel 25th November 1764 and John 30th August 1767. No Sarah that I could see.

In Westhall a John and Sarah Beningfield baptised a Sarah 11th Feb 1759, Elizabeth 13th July 1760, John 6th June 1762, Samuel 13th November 1763 and James 11th September 1765.

I realise these aren't perfect but might be something to work on.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Another marriage I noted - just in case - as both bride and groom were not in their home parishes

At North Cove a John Beddingfield of Beccles married Merry Love of Gisleham (both single) 2nd May 1749

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I had found a Sarah bapt in Rendham to Cornelius and Sarah in 1755, but was not certain if they were the right parents as Rendham is a long way from Beccles (at least in 18th century terms). But assuming it is the same couple (and Cornelius is not a common name), it looks like they had Sarah then moved to Shadingfield much closer to Beccles and had several more children. Or Sarah senior could be from Rendham and had her first child at her parent's house. So this makes Samuel Beddingfield the uncle of Samuel Ingate and Cornelius his grandfather's and also his uncle's name. Samuel Ingate named his sons Samuel, John and Cornelius. Cornelius Ingate was my husband's direct ancestor. So all the names fit particularly the rather uncommon Cornelius.
And it looks as if Elizabeth (Sarah's sister) was one of the witneses at Sarah and William's marriage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Rendham parish register

Sarah d/o Cornelius and Sarah Beddingfield bapt 20th May 1755
Also:
Margaret 4th Oct 1756
Hannah 11th Sept 1759

I couldn't see a marriage for Cornelius and Sarah at Rendham at all.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 February 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you it does all fit with them being the same family which later moved to Shadingfield. Quite a short gap between Hannah's baptism and Cornelius, but Hannah could have been a year old when baptised. I have since found burials for a Cornelius (1807) and Sarah (1799) Bedingfield at Chillesford. The age at death would give year of birth as 1733 and 1732 respectively. The entry for Cornelius says he was of Redenhall. The names and dates of this couple would be a good match for the Cornelius and Sarah who now look like they are the parents of my Sarah.  Also there is an on line tree which has the couple buried in Chillesford and gives Sarah's maiden name as Crisp bapt in Sternfield 15 July 1733. But it has no more information on Cornelius.  FindMyPast has a marriage of a Cornelius Bedingfield in 1732 in Sternfield, could he be my Cornelius's father? I also unearthed a bit of a scandal concerning John Bedingfield of Sternfield. Apparently he was murdered by his wife and / or her lover. John's age would match with him being Cornelius of Sternfield's son (and therefore possibly my Cornelius's brother).

Offline woodtonsmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, not sure whether anyone is still looking at this.
My father is an Ingate and I am researching the ingate family.
I have got to a William Ingate born 1793 and Married Eliza Burnett on 24.12.1816 and was a blacksmith in Kirby cane.
Does he fit into your research
Thank you Jonathan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello
William and Eliza were uncle and aunt of my husband's direct ancestor Cornelius Ingate