Author Topic: Sarah Bedingfield born abt 1756  (Read 2963 times)

Offline woodtonsmithy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Bedingfield born abt 1756
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 16 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, thankyou, my Dad comes through the Garwood Ingate line. So Cornelius is his ggg grandfather.
Has your research taken you further back than William and Eliza and William and Sarah?
Jonathan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Cornelius's parents were Samuel Ingate and Martha Garwood. They died when he was very young and he was looked after by his aunt and uncle William and Eliza.

Numerous trees on Ancestry have William and Eliza as Cornelius's parents, because the only source document they cite (apart from each others erroneous trees) is the 1841 census, which does NOT give relationships between the members of the household. They just made the assumption that all the children with William and Eliza were actually their own children. A dangerous assumption. If any of them had bothered to search out Cornelius's baptism record or his marriage record, they would have found out his real parents.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 September 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
it looks very much as if the Sarah Bedingfield I'm looking for is the daughter of Cornelius and Sarah.
I have now found a transcript of a will for a Samuel Crisp written 21 Apr 1785 and codicil 16 Mar 1786. He is a farmer of Great Glemham. He doesn't mention a wife or any children, so either he had none or they predeceased him.
he left bequests to brothers Thomas and Robert and nephews Richard and Samuel Manthorp and Edmund Palant when they reached 21.

The residue is to be divided between the brothers Thomas and Robert (mentioned before) and brother John and also to sisters:
Sarah wife of Cornelius Bedingfield
Susanna w/o Richard Wilkinson
Hannah w/o Edmund Plant
Elizabeth w/o John Heffer

I have tracked down marriages for all the sisters except Sarah, although I did find a Sarah Crispe marriage to a Jno Bedingfield 15 Jun 1751 Mendham (just a transcript)
Other marriages
Susanna m Daniel Trusson of Tunstall at Chillesford 4 Oct 1759. daniel buried Hacheston 24 Mar 1769, then Susanna (Trusson) married Richard Wilkinson of Hacheston at Tunstall on 7 Jun 1770
Hannah married Edmund Plant of Gt Glemham at Stratford St Andrew on 12 Nov 1765
Elizabeth m John Heffer at Gt Glemham 24 May 1778

also Mary Crispe m Daniel Mantrop (transcription) of Ufford at Chillesford on 31 Aug 1773, both were 21. there are baptisms of a Richard 1776 and Samuel 1777 with parents Daniel and Mary and a death for a Mary in Ufford the day after Samuel's baptism. 

I wonder whether the marriage of Sarah Crisp was really to Cornelius but it has been abbreviated in such a way that it was misread as John.

Even with this large number of siblings I cannot find a full set with the same parents or at least with same father, so I can't get back a further generation.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott