Author Topic: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford  (Read 11429 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 February 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Spot on lads,
Per Curacy looks right.
The baptism, if it exists, is what I am really looking for. I know that by 1851 Fanny had moved to her grans house at Longrigging, Warley so perhaps the baptism was in that area. Her siblings (all younger) were baptised 'job lot' at Booth Chapel, Luddenden in Jun 1861. Fanny was living with the rest of the family for the 1861 census.
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial

Sarah,BLAND,90,Widow,Queen Street,Bradford,14 July 1847 aged 90

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/YORKSGEN/2001-08/0996766033

Burial Sarah bland 15 July 1847 in Haworth (Place of worship of the family maybe) ?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J8WZ-R5S

National burial says Sarah she was 96 Haworth burial 1847

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/parish-records/burials

There were 3 Queen streets Bradford 1853 see link below

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/BradfordStreets1853.html

Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial

Sarah,BLAND,90,Widow,Queen Street,Bradford,14 July 1847 aged 90

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/YORKSGEN/2001-08/0996766033

Burial Sarah bland 15 July 1847 in Haworth (Place of worship of the family maybe) ?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J8WZ-R5S

Possibly the same person - the Haworth register records her as aged 96 and of Bradford. The first extract (which seems to be taken from the Registrar's records rather than burials) admittedly gives the age as 90, but that and 96 could easily have got confused somewhere along the line - or maybe they weren't really sure how old she was.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Date of burial match within a day

That website that gave age 90 warn there could be errors over the age and number 0 and 6 look similar on old doc's

Haworth church is St James (Maybe the old lady's husband was buried there and she moved to Bradford after his death)

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-420625-church-of-st-james-haworth-cross-roads-a
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 February 14 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dobbie,
I have Sarah's burial. She was buried at Bradford St Peters, the one at Haworth St Michael and all Angels is a memorial inscription on her husband's headstone (as you infer). She was 96.
I suspect that the Manchester Road Queen Street and the Bowling one are one and the same because the boundary between Little Horton and Bowling cuts through Queen Street next to St James Church.
I am convinced that this is the right one because other family records have the name Broom Fields which, again, is near St James Church.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 February 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Haworth church is St James (Maybe the old lady's husband was buried there and she moved to Bradford after his death)

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-420625-church-of-st-james-haworth-cross-roads-a

Sorry to disagree again, but the main church in Haworth is St Michael and All Angels.

I have Sarah's burial. She was buried at Bradford St Peters, the one at Haworth St Michael and all Angels is a memorial inscription on her husband's headstone (as you infer). She was 96.

The burial appears in the register which Ancestry attribute to Haworth, though I agree that at the top of the page it says "in the Parish of Bradford". The thing is, until 1864 Haworth was a chapelry within the parish of Bradford, rather than a parish in its own right, so this is, strictly speaking, correct. Also, I've sometimes found that events which took place in one of the Bradford chapelries are copied into the main (St Peter's) registers as well, though in this case the index at Ancestry doesn't have a duplicate entry relating to St Peter's.

The very first page of the register at Ancestry (for the start of 1813) says Haworth rather than Bradford, but I don't know if that's the same book as was in use in 1847 - and I'm not going to check every page to find out! Maybe for this one you need to look at the films when you go to Bradford Archives, and/or check with the staff whether it was Haworth or Bradford.

On the face of it, it does look like a Haworth book: the page with Sarah's burial has 8 entries covering a period of 21 days - surely far too few for the main parish church - and most of them are from the Haworth area. And I've just noticed that some of the entries are signed "P. Bronte". QED?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 February 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Arthur,
I've had another look at my files, I have Bland burials at Haworth St Michaels and Sarah is there so it must be a copy that was sent to St Peter's.
Thanks
Dave

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 February 14 04:09 GMT (UK) »
According to the internet trees - Fanny Greenwood Bland circa  b 1847, parents & grandparents originated from Haworth or born there with a ? mark

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 February 14 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Morning Dobbie,
Yes that's right, the Bland family were in Haworth at one time. The headstone in St Michaels Churchyard is quite outstanding and features crossed pistols. John Bland, Sarah's husband, and his brother were both in the Dragoon Guards for many years.
I have Fanny's birth certificate and Sarah's death certificate. Both state Queen Street. Sarah was a pauper so having her body carried to Haworth for the internment seems to imply someone had the funds.
Several members of my family were baptised, married or buried with Patric Bronte officiating. This has its own downside in that the original documentation is attractive to light fingered tourists and some has been stolen.

Dave