Author Topic: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford  (Read 11492 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St James CofE LittleHorton/W.Bowling, Bradford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I think there's some confusion here...

There was two St James Church's in Bradford

Yes, but according to the WYAS Collections Guide 1 - Parish Registers (available at http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/archives-collections-guides.asp) these were Bradford St James, as already discussed (WYAS Ref BDP27) and Bolton St James (WYAS Ref BDP9/1).

The St James referred to here:
http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BD79057%2f3&pos=3
appears to me to be BDP27 - and what this catalogue entry is saying is that the records of St Bartholomew (BDP10) were originally catalogued alongside those for St James. There isn't another St James.

Also, I think there's a mistake in the captioning of this photo:
One on Wakefield road near Coventry Street Bowling Bradford (Bradford ring road)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfordlibraries/7203227408/
I'm not very familiar with that part of Bradford, but I happened to be driving up Wakefield Road recently and noticed this prominent church. A comparison with Google street view, where the church noticeboard can be clearly seen, leaves me with little doubt that this is actually St John's Bowling, at the junction (now roundabout) with Neville Road.

Edit: scrolling down below the photo on Flickr, I see someone else has made this point.

One off Mill lane (Manchester road one- It was where the Corner of Mill Lane and Nelson Street is now where a company Hire Power now stands ) at St James square (This had no burial ground but had a Mill pond at its West side)

There is a photo in WYAS Bradford taken in 1970's where this church stood, so the church was pulled down before then.

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BD78065%2f1%2f18%2f7&pos=16
And this is presumably BDP27 - the St James that was originally being discussed.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think Arthur is right there. I think there is another St James up Bolton Road and the flicker photo is of Bowling St John's.
The Bolton St James is  on the right going up Bolton Road.
I had another look at the 1851 O/S map on Old-maps and now think I might be mistaken about the cemetery, I can't make out the word or words just under where it says St James.
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I can't make out what it says on the OS map either (I think it's 1852, though, not 1851). However, neither the WYAS catalogue nor the National Index of Parish Registers mentions burial registers, so it seems quite likely that they didn't do them there. Having said that, it would be good to find an old photo of the church grounds (which look to be fairly extensive) to confirm that there is no evidence of gravestones etc. Or maybe Bradford Archives could suggest some documentary evidence that would prove it one way or the other.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I agree ! that is a mistake in that photo link and that church is St John

BDP10 (Unless we have 2 mistakes) As previous link
quote Related material

Originally listed with records of Bowling St James under this ref. Additional deposit (including registers) originally held at 75D95/2 (BD95075).

There seems there was St James of Bowling ?  :-\

Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think Arthur is right there. I think there is another St James up Bolton Road and the flicker photo is of Bowling St John's.
The Bolton St James is  on the right going up Bolton Road.
I had another look at the 1851 O/S map on Old-maps and now think I might be mistaken about the cemetery, I can't make out the word or words just under where it says St James.
Dave

On the oldmaps website

The now Junction of Manchester Road and now top end of Mill lane was Moss Street then and the now Nelson Street seems to be Vulcan Street then

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

In the Left big boxed modern map, drag the map to Bradford, zoom in a little on Manchester Road, then arrow in on Mill lane/ Nelson street corner, above you will see 'works' arrow in just in front of the works and click on that map. Then in the right menu click on the 1891 town map and later the 1893 map- You can zoom in or out.

If you want to go a little North, West, South or East of your original fix point -reclick the 'get maps' in top menu tab and it will hold your present fix point, then select a new point as mentioned above and repeat as above.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes you have got the right one now. Have a look immediately under where it says St James Church
I can't make it out but could the second word be 'cemetery' ?

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 February 14 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes you have got the right one now. Have a look immediately under where it says St James Church

Dave

To be honest! I don't think St James Mill lane off Manchester road had a cemetery as by 1870 the council cemeteries were being used more also there would be records of burials with , baptisms, marriages and banns in the parish registers .

Being more up to date while looking at them maps -Why not link up the two railway stations of Foster square and the interchange with a tunnel while they have the chance with that big hole in-between, then build over it and take pressure of Leeds rail station. Must admit its in the realms of rocket science thinking for council people!  :-\

Mind you if Hudderfield had a big hole like that ! a supermarket would have filled it by now.  ;D

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »

Dave

I've just had a look at St John's Bowling (the one in the mis-captioned picture already mentioned here) on the same 1852 map. That clearly shows a Burial Ground around the church, but it also has what appear to be the same words under the church's name. In this case I think it says "Per. Curacy" - this would be Perpetual Curacy, a kind of appointment in the Church of England that came about when new parishes were created out of parts of old ones (see article at Wikipedia for more details). This would fit for St James Bradford/Bowling, so I guess that might be your answer - and there's still nothing to indicate that any burials ever took place there.

Arthur

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
On the 1852 map town map St John Bowling - it says burial ground the other side of the church opposite 'Per curacy' and I would think that means churchyard burial ground or cemetery. Having said that ? St John is not St James, I would think Dave, a trip to the Bradford WYAS archives or Library and get some clarity on these St James church registers