Author Topic: George Harman/Hannon/Hannan/Harmon - where are you?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Harman/Hannon/Hannan/Harmon - where are you?
« on: Friday 21 February 14 05:35 GMT (UK) »
George and Jane Harman arrived in Hobart on 20 July 1834 on board the "Vestal" from Liverpool.

Jane Hannon/Hannan/Harman (spinster) married William Drinkwater in 1840 in Hobart. Her name was recorded as Hannon - she signed with her mark. Jane died in 1866 in Hobart, aged 50, (born Scotland) making a birth date ca 1816. Her life has been well documented.

George, however, seems to have vanished without trace. I'm hoping that he might be Jane's brother and thus give me a clue as to her parents. A newspaper article about the arrival of the "Vestal" says that he was a tailor but I can't find any mention of him in the newspapers or BDM records in Tasmania. A George Hannon/Harmon appears in Adelaide in 1849, convicted of theft - possibly him as one account gives his alias as "Scottie".

Any leads gratefully received :-)

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk