Author Topic: CHOLERTON - WEST  (Read 2845 times)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHOLERTON - WEST
« on: Friday 21 February 14 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I need some help. My mother is trying to do a family tree for her grand-daughter's 21st birthday and she wants to have the same amount of generations on both sides. I have come to an end on one side. I need some information on Geoffrey Frank Peter Cholerton b. 1915 London married (1939?) to Leonie Ruth West b. 1916 Belper Derbyshire. They both emigrated to Australia with their 3 children in 1949. Geoffrey's parents were Geoffrey Frederick Cholerton b.1887 Derbyshire and Mabel Eveline Bromham b. 1884 Yorkshire. They married in 1912 in Derbyshire. Is it possible to get death dates for Geoffrey and Mabel or the full dates of the marriages. I also cannot find the parents of Leonie Ruth West. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you. Lisa
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHOLERTON - WEST
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 14 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Birth Registration:
December qtr 1916
Belper district    vol 7b, page 1054

West, Leonie R      Mother's maiden name: Smith

With such common surnames, you will probably need the birth certificate to find her parents names.

Dates of marriages will only be on the marriage certificates (which you have to pay for) or on a parish register entry?

The other option is to contact a tree owner on Ancestry, who has all these people in their tree, but it is a private tree.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 February 14 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a marriage AMJ 1906 Belper 7b 1371
Leonard West
Eliza Margaret Smith

On the emigration record of 1949 there are the Cholertons and immediately afterwards a record for an E M West crossed out aged 71 ( I think it is an E)
I wonder if this could have been Eliza Margaret, Leonies mother?
Supposition really I m afraid, no hard proof.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Geoffreys father appears to have been George Frederick Cholerton not Geoffrey.
He appears to marry Mabel 3rd August 1912 and Geoffrey Peter was born 1st October 1915.
Georges army pension records are available on Ancestry and give details of wife and children

Cathy :)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy. Yes you are right about George. Sorry I made a mistake on that one. Had it right on my piece of paper. I have been trying to find more info on the marriage of Leonard West and Eliza Smith. Very hard to find anything. I did find that Eliza was 28 at the time of her marriage in 1906 so that would make her 71, the same as the lady on the ship. Why would they cross her off the list? Does it mean that she was going to be on the ship but did not go. (only assuming that it was her). Another reason I might lean towards them, was Eliza's father's name was George Fearn Smith. Leonie Ruth Cholerton (nee West) had a granddaughter named Fearn. May be another coincident. Need more proof.
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same as you that EM West was crossed off the list because she probably did nt go.
Probate record
Leonard West of Selworthy, Quarndon, Derbyshire died 17 th March 1932 at Queens Medical Nursing Home, Duffield Road, Derbyshire. Probate to Eliza Margaret West, widow.
Elizas shipping record address was Hillside, Quarndon, Derbys., so puts them sort of in the same area.
Hard to find actial proof without sending for certificates.

Cathy :)

Offline Andy Balfe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 June 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I'm a bit late to the party here I think but I may be some help. My grandparents were Geoffrey Frank Cholerton and Leonie Ruth Cholerton (nee West), both deceased. They moved to Australia in 1949 and had three children.

Mum stays in touch with some West family in the UK, New Zealand and elsewhere and I am certain she would be happy to assist in providing more details.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Andy Balfe
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail/living person details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline milkybars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,
           I would really like to get in touch and talk about the West -Smith family, we are related something like 3rd cousins. .. i think you need to make another post before i can Private message you with details of my email etc.

Yours
Philip D

Offline milkybars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
This is hopefully my second posting to activate the PM system