Author Topic: Marriages - Whitehaven - Simpson  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriages - Whitehaven - Simpson
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would someone be able to look at the parish registers for the following 2 marriages please? The information I am looking for is -
Ages of bride & groom
Whether "of this parish"
Father's name/occupation
Witnesses
Any other snippets

Samuel Simpson & Jane Gamwell - 23.8.1806 - St James, Whitehaven, Cumberland.
George Simpson & Margaret Brown - 7.2.1824 - Holy Trinity, Whitehaven, Cumberland.

I realise not all the information may be shown..
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Pammy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages - Whitehaven - Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Father's name/occupation

Not shown on marriages pre-1.7.1837

Ages of bride & groom

Will only be shown as "full" or "minor" (ie) over 21 or under
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Also

Whether "of this parish"

Simply refers to where they were living at the time of the marriage - i.e. during the 3 weeks the banns were called.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your comments.  I thought there may be limited info depending on dates.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Realise this is an old thread, but wondering, Pammy22, are George Simpson and Margaret Brown a line you are researching?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 March 17 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum,
Yes, sort of.  I am tracing up through George Simpson & his second wife Catherine Hoare, but hoped to get more info through his first marriage. Pretty sure Margaret Brown was his first wife.  Have got his father's marr & death but not his birth (Scotland?).  Also, not found George's birth.
Do you have any info on this line you would be willing to share?

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I am considering this couple to potentially have been parents to an Isabella Simpson who married a Wilfred Cape in St James' church, Whitehaven in 1862.

When Isabella died in Scotland, her father was listed as a John Simpson, but given that one of her sons, who notified the death, gave the wrong forename for her husband (who was his dad, but had died when he was a young child), I have long since suspected it was wrong too.

Prior to sight of her marriage certificate, I had suspected from other research, that it was George Simpson who was her father. The marriage certificate does state George, and that he was a painter.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
This sits well with the 1841 and 1851 census for Whitehaven, the former of which, at Peter Street,  has a George Sampson (as transcribed, and original looks to be same rather than Simpson), wife Margarat (again, as transcribed) and children Ann, Mary, Bridget and Isabella (who is noted as born 1840). The latter, at New Town, Whitehaven, has George Simpson, painter (birth Hensingham), wife Margaret, and children Mary, Bridget, Isabella and Margaret (who was born after previous census).

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused re your mention of a second marriage, though, as George (back to Sampson), painter, born Hensingham (originally a village, nowadays more of a suburb of Whitehaven), appears as a Lodger at Tanzier Street in 1861, recorded as single.

Then, in 1871, I think the same George, albeit as Geo Simpson, is found in the Workhouse at Preston Quarter, Whitehaven.