Author Topic: Marriages - Whitehaven - Simpson  (Read 3393 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages - Whitehaven - Simpson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:10 GMT (UK) »
GRO only list one Isabella Simpson birth in Whitehaven in 1840, with mother's maiden name noted as Brown. In 1844, they list a birth for a Margaret Simpson in Whitehaven, with mother's maiden name Brown.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
There is one Ann Simpson marriage in Whitehaven between 1841 and 1851, which could account for the Ann who was at home in 1841, but not there at 1851.

Similarly, there is one Margaret Simpson marriage in Whitehaven between 1851 and 1861, which albeit she would only be c15yrs, could account for Margaret after 1851.

update: probably not as she seems to have come from Gosforth
the Register Office, Whitehaven, Mr. Matthew Sanderson, miner, Egremont, to Miss Margaret Simpson, Gosforth

Not seeing anything further on Bridget.

Mother, Margaret possibly one of the 1852 deaths in the district.

I haven't had chance to check the above possibilities further yet, so any thoughts/input from anyone else having a read at this thread are welcomed.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
A quick look on familysearch re potential children to the 1824 George Simpson to Margaret Brown marriage throws up:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jq3/

for checking.

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 March 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, my George must be different from your George.  The info I have for him is:
Born Whitehaven about 1809.
Married to Catharine Hoare Oct 1847 in St Marylebone - he was a widower and a shoemaker and his father was Samuel Simpson, stonemason.
Died 1876 St George, Hanover Sq.
His first wife, Margaret died earlier in 1847 St James, Westminster.  She was born about 1816 - (not in Middx - lived Bethnal Green at time of 1841 census).  I don't think they had children.

So I haven't found his marriage to Margaret or his birth.  I presume your George's father is not Samuel.

Sorry for any confusion, I haven't really looked at this stem for some time.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Tanzier Street

Tangier Street

Thanks Geoff-E, you win today's 'spot the spelling typo error' competition (unfortunately, there is no prize)  ;D.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Pammy22, I would certainly reckon you have picked up on the wrong 'George Simpson to a Margaret' marriage.

Looking at a couple of the census returns for 'your' George, I only see mention of Cumberland. Where did you see Whitehaven?

At this point, I don't know who 'the other' (likely 'my') George's father is, but certainly he himself seems a better fit for the George who married Margaret Brown.

I don't have a sub on Anc* at the moment, but it looks like someone there has a 'Simpson Family Tree' with George Simpson and Margaret Brown in Whitehaven. If anyone reading this thread has an Anc* sub, perhaps they could contact the tree owner and ask if they could have a look here.

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum, the 1851 (they are in Warrington) & 1871 (back in Westminster) census both say George Simpson born Whitehaven.
The 1841 census has George Simpson and Margaret in Bethnal Green - neither were born in Middx. George's occupation is shoemaker or bootmaker on all census except 1871 where it is teacher.
His marriage certificate says his father is Samuel Simpson, stonemason.
He married a Margaret (1841 census), but I don't know her maiden name or date/place of marriage.
Obviously not the same couple as your George & Margaret.
So, still struggling with this particular stem. sigh ...

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've just looked at originals again and can see Whitehaven.

How odd that he is a teacher by 1871, unless it means he was teaching his shoe making skills.

The Margaret in the 1841 census is noted as aged 25, so c 1816 birth. This alone would have made her too young for the 1824 marriage, but then again her age may have been rounded down (http://durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2010/09/added-explanation-of-1841-census-age-rounding/ )., albeit even if it was, it would still have meant she was fairly young).

Did 'your' George state he was a widower at all on his marriage to Catherine?

If the 1841 George is the same chap, then given he was so far from his home area, and given the 9 or so yrs age difference between him and Margaret, perhaps he married her after moving down to Bethnal Green, or indeed anywhere between leaving Whitehaven and settling 'down south', albeit there isn't snything jumping out, other than possibly one over Newcastle direction..