Author Topic: William Dean b. 1808 in Newton  (Read 1732 times)

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Dean b. 1808 in Newton
« on: Saturday 22 February 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking for help in finding the parents of my g.g.grandfather William Dean b. 1808 in Newton,
Lancashire and his wife Jane Hallam b. 1811 in Dukinfield, Cheshire.
        I purchased their certificate of marriage several months ago but it provided little additional
information.  William Dean and Jane Hallam were married on 3 July 1831 at the Manchester
Cathedral. A witness to their marriage was George Bevin.
         Some of the early census and baptisms indicated a back and forth of the name Dean
to Dain which caused much confusion.  Baptisms for their children Mary 1833, Ann 1835, James
1837, Jane Maria 1840, John 1844, Elizabeth 1848, William 1851, and Sarah Ellen 1851 were
conducted at St. Michael's in Ashton under Lyne.
          The 1841 census found the Dean ( Dain ) Family on Parliament Street in Dukinfield
working in the textile cotton mills.  They were in the Parliament Street area for a number of
decades.   Many of the next generation baptisms were conducted at St. Marks in Dukinfield.
           Any suggestions on finding the parents of William Dean of Newton and Jane Hallam
of Dukinfield would be appreciated.    Thanks,   nobscot

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Dean b. 1808 in Newton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »

How about this one,
31 May 1807  baptised at All Saints Newton Heath.
William Dean son of John Dean and Sarah.
Abode Newton, occupation Husbandman
You can see it for yourself on this link

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 February 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »

I purchased their certificate of marriage several months ago but it provided little additional
information.  William Dean and Jane Hallam were married on 3 July 1831 at the Manchester
Cathedral. A witness to their marriage was George Bevin.

Might be helpful but the other witness was Thomas Pavy or Parry and I see the marriage underneath is Elizabeth Dean to William Stubbs with the same witness.  Elizabeth might be a sister perhaps.

Be interested to know how you purchased a certificate as I wasn't aware they did them for marriages that old  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to rolnora and milliepede for the replies.    The parish link find looks interesting.
The marriage certificate via a certificate supplier on a Cheshire Family History site.  I saw
after the fact that the same was available when I signed for a month on Ancestry...nobscot

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
So not really a marriage certificate, probably a copy of a record in the parish register.

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks LizzyW for the reply:    yes, it turned out to be a copy from a Parish Register page. The
best hint so far for the parents of William Dean b.1808 in Newton seems to be John and Sarah
Dean.  A look at a map shows Newton Heath on the outskirts of Manchester and a street named
Dean Lane.  Interesting.
        My G.Grandfather was James Dean b.1837 who married Ann Shaw b.1840.  They were
married at the Stockport Parish Church in 1860.   Their son William Henry Dean b.1861 in
Dukinfield is my Grandfather.  He married Nancy Lockett in 1886.  The Dean Family arrived in Boston, Massachusetts aboard the r.m.s. Franconia in April 1913.  Thanks for reading...nobscot