Author Topic: Thomas Burt b 1880 Scotland  (Read 763 times)

Offline BGAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Burt b 1880 Scotland
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Sometime between 1902 and 1908, my Grandfather Thomas Burt b 1880 in Scotland became a teacher of shorthand at the Underwood Typewriting Company's head-quarters in Edinburgh, at Keiller's Commercial Training Institution, Dunfermline, at the Craigmillar Park College, Edinburgh and in the Evening Continuation classes under the Edinburgh School Board.

He was also living and working in France sometime during this period. Thomas was a Professeur d'Anglais at L’Ecole Nationale Professionnelle, a large college at Vierzon, near Paris, France.

In 1910 he then moved to Perth, Western Australia with his wife Christina C Burt.

I am trying to find out when my Grandfather worked at these two places.  If anyone has knowledge of where I can find these records or can help me in any way with this information I would be very thankful.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Burt b 1880 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
From Gallica:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k1227194/f635.image.r=Burt.langEN
(dated 29 Oct 1908)
BURT, diplômé honoraire de l'Institut commercial de Birmingham, est délégué dans les fonctions de maître-auxiliaire d'Anglais à l'école nationale professionnelle de Vierzon, en remplacement de M. Parbury, démissionnaire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BGAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Burt b 1880 Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jorose for the information you sent me below, that has completed another piece of the puzzle about my grandfather, thank you again.

Offline BGAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Burt b 1880 Edinburgh, Scotland d 1955 Perth Western Australia, Aust.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
I have recently learnt that my Grandfather Thomas Burt born 1880 in Edinburgh, Scotland, attended the Commercial Institute of Birmingham in England and was an Honorary Graduate somewhere between 1902 and 1906 I think. Does any one know where I could find the details of when he studied there, what he studied and when he graduated.  Many thanks in anticipation of your help.