Author Topic: The Genealogist UK  (Read 4267 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
The Genealogist UK
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Received 3 months gold subscription to The Genealogist when I subscribed to WDYTYA magazine at the show yesterday.  However, having tried it with some of my ancestors from different parts of the UK, I fail to see how it is different/better than findmypast or ancestry.  They claim that they have many more different types of records than the other sites, but it seems that there aren't many actual records in each collection.

Could someone who has used this website, and got on well with it, help me out please, as I don't want to waste my subscription.  The areas I am mainly interested in are: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Dumfries-shire, Fife, Lanarkshire, Norfolk, Shropshire.

Thanks

TerriG
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogist UK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
The site is best known as it has worked with the National Archives to host the Non-Conformist registers in series RG4 and RG8 which is great if you have non-conformist ancestors.

I'm sure you've seen this

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/nameindex/ai_content.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I subscribe to The Genealogist.  I use the censuses (naturally) and the non-Conformist records and the PCC Wills.  I find the transcriptions better than Ancestry, though not completely without errors. If you are only subscribing to one site, I think The Genealogist is the best value, though not the most comprehensive.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 February 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
You can also search the censuses by address and by family (giving just first names, which is great if the surname has been badly transcribed)

Sue

Offline Dolly_007

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 February 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I had a Diamond Membership bought for me as a gift - found it a difficult site to navigate around & overpriced for the content.

Regards
Dolly _007
Ireland: Jackson,Storey,Harris
Ireland:Kirkpatrick,Moore.
Co Durham: Brough,Shields,Priestman,Stewart
Westmorland: Nicholson,Miller(s)
Liverpool:Edwards,Jackson,Mayston,Shepherd,Shepphard.
Holyhead:Roberts
Wrexham: Edwards

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I decided to give it a go, but haven't found anything that I've not already found on FindMyPast or Ancestry.  I was hoping the non conformist registers might have thrown up something to help with mini brick walls, but nothing.  I won't be renewing my sub.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
The site is best known as it has worked with the National Archives to host the Non-Conformist registers in series RG4 and RG8 which is great if you have non-conformist ancestors.

It's worth bearing in mind that ancestry now also have the non-conformist registers, Fleet marriages and PCC Wills which removes most of their "exclusive" data sets (other than some transcripts). 

While they do have digitised and indexed copies of some out of print books, many of them are available to view elsewhere on the web for free and I've never found their viewer for these very easy to use.  I also don't like the fact everything is in pdf form because if the image isn't very good, you can't manipulate it very easily.

In light of ancestry now having the three main data sets I use on thegenealogist, I won't be renewing my sub this year either.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interesting responses.  It seems that opinion is split!  Since posting I've used it for looking up the census, but that in itself is frustrating as the subscription I have doesn't allow me to view the 1911 census.  I've also had a look at the non-conformist records, but so far none of my ancestors appear.  It's fair to say that I've not been won over yet, but you never know! 
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
I also signed to the genealogist via the free wdytya code but im not very impressed either.  I can't seem to find hardly any of my ancestors.  I mainly wanted to look at wills but when I typed in my ancestor it said there was no will when I know there is as I found it on the gov website.  I will not be renewing.
I did a trial on Genes Reunited and didn't find that good either.  I thinkfamily search and ancestry are the best.