Author Topic: Lunatic on 1911 census  (Read 21718 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic on 1911 census
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again

The only marriage that I can find between Mary Ann Williams and a Howell is in Monmouth in 1842 to a Charles Howell.(29 Dec 1842). The transcription is on FindMyPast as are the banns. But of course she may have married before civil registration began. There are a fair number of marriages for Mary Ann Williams in the Devon marriages on FindMyPast.

Looking at the 1841 census there is  in East Stonehouse William Howell 50 Mary Howell Elizabeth Howell 15.

There is then a death for a William Howell in Apr - Jun 1847. There is a marriage for a William Howell and Mary Williams 23 Aug 1825 in East Stonehouse and then a birth for Elizabeth Howell28 May 1826 with father William Howell, a private in the Royal Marines and mother Mary.

I have now looked at the merchant navy record mentioned in my previous post. It is conceivable that it could be for your man as the places of birth seem to be mainly by county and Cromarty may refer to the entire county and not the town. The record shows voyages between 1853 and 1857. The last voyage for this Philip seems to have been in 1854 and one of them was to Lisbon? Is it worth considering that he might have died at sea or overseas?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again

The only marriage that I can find between Mary Ann Williams and a Howell is in Monmouth in 1842 to a Charles Howell.(29 Dec 1842). The transcription is on FindMyPast as are the banns. But of course she may have married before civil registration began. There are a fair number of marriages for Mary Ann Williams in the Devon marriages on FindMyPast.

Looking at the 1841 census there is  in East Stonehouse William Howell 50 Mary Howell Elizabeth Howell 15.

There is then a death for a William Howell in Apr - Jun 1847. There is a marriage for a William Howell and Mary Williams 23 Aug 1825 in East Stonehouse and then a birth for Elizabeth Howell28 May 1826 with father William Howell, a private in the Royal Marines and mother Mary.

I have now looked at the merchant navy record mentioned in my previous post. It is conceivable that it could be for your man as the places of birth seem to be mainly by county and Cromarty may refer to the entire county and not the town. The record shows voyages between 1853 and 1857. The last voyage for this Philip seems to have been in 1854 and one of them was to Lisbon? Is it worth considering that he might have died at sea or overseas?

William

It definitely says on the marriage certificate for Mary Ann Howell to Philip McCree, that her father's name is Richard Williams, and that Philip's father's name is Christopher McCree.

I shall have to do some more research into Philip's side of the family because he is where I might find the link to my Mackenzie's.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

In a garbled way I was trying to say that William Howell may have been Mary Ann's first husband! (I missed out her age in the 1841 census on my previous post - it is35 with birth year of 1806, ages rounded down in 1841. William Howell's occupation has a letter P which might stand for pensioner).

It does seem strange that there are no possible death records for either Philip or Mary Ann - running out of variations of McRae to try!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

In a garbled way I was trying to say that William Howell may have been Mary Ann's first husband! (I missed out her age in the 1841 census on my previous post - it is35 with birth year of 1806, ages rounded down in 1841. William Howell's occupation has a letter P which might stand for pensioner).

It does seem strange that there are no possible death records for either Philip or Mary Ann - running out of variations of McRae to try!

William

I know what you mean by variations of McRae  :P  :P  :P

I have done a search on Sc*******Pe**** for birth records for Philip McCree (plus all variations!!!),
with a father named Christopher, but they all give place of birth as either Glenshiel or Kintail, which is the wrong area for my Mackenzie family.

To be perfectly honest - I just cannot imagine a baby being named Philip, back in the 1800s in the Lochbroom area of Ross & Cromarty  ;)  ;)  ;)
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
Just googled Lochbroom parish and found the Family Search Wiki. It states that the OPR births for Lochbroom only exist from 1810 until 1854 and that the whereabouts of the kirk session records is "unknown".

The google search also showed a site called Ross and Cromarty Roots with lots of headstone photos on it.

William

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
Just googled Lochbroom parish and found the Family Search Wiki. It states that the OPR births for Lochbroom only exist from 1810 until 1854 and that the whereabouts of the kirk session records is "unknown".

The google search also showed a site called Ross and Cromarty Roots with lots of headstone photos on it.

William

Thanks for all your help, William. I just don't know where to turn now.

When it comes to www.rosscromartyroots.co.uk, if you look on the main page, under contributors and look for Carol Bell (me) - you will see a photo of a headstone for Mary Mackenzie, who was my great-grand-aunt. She died in 1877.
I found her headstone in the Bard Buie cemetery, Dundonnell, after a long hike. Her headstone had almost fallen flat and I lay under it (yes, stupid, when I look back) and took photos in sections which were then pieced together by a very clever person on this site.

I just love doing my family research, but can get very involved and frustrated when I can't get my questions answered.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 08 January 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on this posting - still no solution though. Still can't find the family link.

Mary Macrae died on 05 January 1879, at the age of 91 years (not totally convinced on that). She died in Market Street, Ullapool, and the death was registered by her daughter, Alexandrina Mackenzie. Mary's parents were stated to be Farquhar Macrae and Ann Munro.

Alexandrina Mackenzie died on 10 April 1906, at the age of 67 years. She was stated to be illegitimate, and her mother was listed as Mary Macrae, deceased. Her father was (reputed) to be Kenneth Mackenzie, fisherman. Alexandrina's death was registered by Thomas Dawson, Red Row, Ullapool, who stated himself to be a " close relative ".

I then traced this Thomas Dawson, and discovered his death certificate which shows that he died on 14 July 1906, at the age of 59 years. He died at West Terrace, Ullapool. He was married to Annie Hatcher.
Thomas' parents were Benjamin Dawson and Isabella Macrae
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]
Is this the link?[/color]

Anybody got any ideas?