Author Topic: Help Please New York  (Read 2333 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Help Please New York
« on: Monday 24 February 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my Late husbands birth family. With help from jamcat95 i have found his Grandfather. His Granfather had a half sister who went to the USA. What i have;  Hulda Augusta Amalia Mollerstedt  Parent's Fredrik Ferdinand Mollerstedt and Elizabeth Andersson.
 Hulda was 25 when she left Gothenburg (1881 05 03 ) bound for New York. Can someone help me to find her and what happened to her.

Many Thanks
                              Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please New York
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't see her on any passenger lists to New York.  For that time frame, you would need to look at http://castlegarden.org/index.php and probably play around with the spelling. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a Swedish Emigration Shelly - Hulda Möllerstedt -  abt 1856 - Goteborg to New York - 13 May 1881. Another entry destination Hull England on the SS Marsdin (same date) Presume it went via Hull.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I saw that, but it's not the American list, which is what I was referring to.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 03:29 GMT (UK) »
That's the one i am after *Sandra*. So looks like she went to England. Am I correct?

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Most Swedish emigrants to America sailed to Hull, where they boarded a train to travel overland to another port such as Liverpool or London to board an ocean-going ship.  On the castlegarden.org index, Hulda appears as Hilda Mollastadd, arriving in New York on 02 June 1881 on the ship Denmark.

Her passenger record doesn't indicate where she was heading.  She most likely married within a few years of arriving, so any census records after that would list her under her married name.  Do you know of any relatives of hers who might have settled in the U.S., which might help narrow your area of focus?  Also, do you have her exact date of birth?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Here's a printout from familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KD7M-158

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
As far as i know she had no relatives in the U.S.A.
This is all i have;http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=596456.10  Bottom of pg 2.
Hulda was born 17 March 1856 in Goth Garrison, Gothenburg Sweden. I do not think the family search one is her,although i could be wrong. Thanks for all your help so far.

Carol

and many more.

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The record on familysearch, which matches the record on castlegarden.org, is almost certainly the same person as in the departure record you provided. It is a very good fit on name, age, and arrival date, and her nationality of Swedish could easily have been mis-transcribed as Swiss.

I found two Hildas (but no Huldas) from Sweden in the 1900 U.S. census that have a March 1856 birthdate and 1881 immigration date.  One (Hilda Holgren) is in McKeesport, PA and the other (no last name indexed) is in Republic Co., KS.  Could be a long shot, but perhaps one of them is the one you're looking for.  Ordering a death certificate could tell you more.