Author Topic: Blevins (Blevans , Blevens etc)  (Read 793 times)

Offline alcab1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blevins (Blevans , Blevens etc)
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there...I'm trying to find out/confirm info. on a Samuel Blevins and his paternal line. I believe Samuel and his parents/siblings lived in Whitehaven and in the early 1800's they moved to Kircudbrightshire in Scotland. I've been able to determine that Samuel married Nancy Graham (born  in Scotland 1795) in Scotland around 1820 and they had two daughters born in Kirkcudbrightshire in 1823 (Marianne) and 1826 (Jessie) before moving back to Whitehaven where another daughter Mary Agness was born in 1830.  This was the year that Samuel also died. While in Scotland however a Nancy Blevins married a John Barret on 3rd Nov. 1828 in kirkcudbrightshire and I believe Nancy was Samuels sister. Again this is difficult to accurately determine.
Mary Agness later married a Robert Lowe in Whitehaven in 1853 and had two daughters and a son John.
Mary Anne had an illegitimate son William James in 1846. Nancy died in Whitehaven in 1859. The remaining Blevins family continued to live there until about 1876 when William migrated to the North East of England to work in the new coal mines of Durham re: Easington, Horden Collieries etc.. I am a direct descendant of William James but now live in Canada.
I have determined that the family lived at Ribton Lane is 1841 and later at 55 Ginns in the Preston Qtr. spending most of their lives in this area. I have also determined from the 1861 census that there was an Ann Blevins born in 1807 who had a sister Mary and two daughters (Elizabeth and Mary) and a son Henry. I believe Ann and Mary may well be the siblings of Samuel but cannot confirm this.
Also a Samuel Blevins married a Margaret Winn in 1797 and I am trying to determine if this Samuel /Margaret were the parents of Samuel and if Ann and Mary were also their children. If so, there must be other related Blevins in Whitehaven. Census records have many different spellings for the Blevins name and the above are some examples of the same people under different versions of their name in various census records, birth and death.

Can anyone help or advise what is the next step in finding out the extent of the family of Samuel prior to the 1800's?

thanks

Alan