Author Topic: WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts  (Read 1136 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth SHEPHERD was one of 10 children born to Nathaniel and Sarah SHEPHERD abt 1753, in Portsmouth (or Portsea?).

Elizabeth WREN 84, died December, 1837 at Chicklade, Wilts where she is buried. Her Will says she is "of Chicklade" and is a widow.  Because of other family members/relationships mentioned in the Will I am sure that this is the same person.  There is no mention of any child of hers in the Will.  I have no idea where she was living before she moved to Chicklade.  The family that she was living with seem only to have moved to Chicklade in the early 1830s.

I would love to find the name of her husband and her marriage.  I have looked on the National Archives site but cannot see a Will which might be that of Mr WREN.

Thank you, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hello - just giving this a bump up in case fresh eyes can help me find Mr Wren.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
I think this looks unlikely given her age was about 68 but you never know?

Elisabeth Shepherd
Marriage 23 Sep 1821
Michelmersh, Hampshire, England
Benjamin Wren

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Colin.

Perhaps.......  :-\   I can't see any records for Michelmersh anywhere sadly, other than ordering them from LDS films which is more of a rigmarole than I'm prepared to go through.

The other thought I have is that perhaps she had been married prior to the marriage to Mysterious Mr Wren, thus marrying with a different surname.  However I can't see a marriage for any man named WREN who would fit.

She isn't a direct ancestor and I have plenty of info about her family, so I think she's just in the brick-wall category.

Judith