Author Topic: WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts  (Read 2504 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth SHEPHERD was one of 10 children born to Nathaniel and Sarah SHEPHERD abt 1753, in Portsmouth (or Portsea?).

Elizabeth WREN 84, died December, 1837 at Chicklade, Wilts where she is buried. Her Will says she is "of Chicklade" and is a widow.  Because of other family members/relationships mentioned in the Will I am sure that this is the same person.  There is no mention of any child of hers in the Will.  I have no idea where she was living before she moved to Chicklade.  The family that she was living with seem only to have moved to Chicklade in the early 1830s.

I would love to find the name of her husband and her marriage.  I have looked on the National Archives site but cannot see a Will which might be that of Mr WREN.

Thank you, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WREN, husband of Elizabeth SHEPHERD, late 1700s, possibly Hants or Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hello - just giving this a bump up in case fresh eyes can help me find Mr Wren.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
I think this looks unlikely given her age was about 68 but you never know?

Elisabeth Shepherd
Marriage 23 Sep 1821
Michelmersh, Hampshire, England
Benjamin Wren

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 20 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Colin.

Perhaps.......  :-\   I can't see any records for Michelmersh anywhere sadly, other than ordering them from LDS films which is more of a rigmarole than I'm prepared to go through.

The other thought I have is that perhaps she had been married prior to the marriage to Mysterious Mr Wren, thus marrying with a different surname.  However I can't see a marriage for any man named WREN who would fit.

She isn't a direct ancestor and I have plenty of info about her family, so I think she's just in the brick-wall category.

Judith

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 21 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has access to the registers for Michelmersh, Hampshire in 1821 as I'm still looking for a WREN husband for Elizabeth.  She would have been about 68 at the time (1821)

Or any other information about a Benjamin WREN who would be the groom in this marriage.

Judith

Should I post this on the Hampshire board??

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 March 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Should I post this on the Hampshire board??

No that won't be necessary, We can get it moved if necessary  :)

You mention family that she was living with c1830, could you tell us who they are please.

She appears to have a gravestone

Elizabeth Wren
Age   84
Death 16   Dec 1837
Place   Chicklade
County   Wiltshire
Country   England
Reference   30670
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Rosie99

Yes, that is Elizabeth at Chicklade, Wilts.

The family she was with is the family of John DYER (now there's a brick wall).  Also buried at Chicklade are John DYER's second wife, Eliza d 1834, and one of his daughters,  Mary Evans DYER d 1839.  I gather he rented the house at Chicklade for perhaps 5 years so I it seems unlikely there's any clues to Elizabeth's marriage there.

Elizabeth SHEPHERD/WREN was the sister of John DYER's first wife, Lydia SHEPHERD and one of 10 children born in Portsea to Nathaniel and Sarah SHEPHERD.  Although John's first wife Lydia (nee SHEPHERD) died in 1795 John kept close contacts with the Shepherd family, even to the extent of naming his first daughter with Eliza (second wife) after his first wife and his first son is named George Shepherd DYER - which seems peculiar to me!

The executor to Elizabeth's will is John Jones DYER, son of John DYER.  Her will mentions only John DYER, and John's third wife Sophia nee Weedon(!), John Jones DYER and a Shepherd niece and nephew.  This will was only made a few days before her death.

The only other mention I can find of Elizabeth is that an Elizabeth SHEPHERD was present at the birth of a son, William,  to John and Lydia DYER in London 1794.  It's such a common name and she's a woman so less chance of finding her!

As for John DYER himself - there's a huge brick wall. Loads of information about him after 1791 but I cannot find any reliable parents or siblings.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=348856.msg2272785#msg2272785

Once again - thanks for looking

Judith

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 March 21 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Judith,

Only just started looking at this posting but I have found the following marriages which may or/not be of use to you but will post in case;

7-9-1818 William Wren - m - Dinah Gearey in Michelmarsh, Hants

and

23-12-1824 Benjamin Wren - m - Frances Clements in
Chilworth, Hants

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Alan.

Seems to me that the Chilworth Benjamin is not a contender.  There is an on-line tree which appears to be well-researched with census etc to back up the assertions. IF this Benjamin had married Elizabeth in Michelmersh in 1821 then his marriage to Frances/Fanny Clements in 1824 would seem to be bigamous.

There certainly seems to be a WREN family in Michelmersh.  I note that William WREN whose marriage you've quoted there in 1818 was an agricultural labourer as were others of the WREN family.  In my Elizabeth WREN's will there are bequests of silver, gold rings, money and money in securities so I now think a marriage to one of the WRENs of Michelmersh is unlikely.

I fear that Elizabeth's marriage is likely to remain a mystery.  as I've already said she isn't a direct ancestor and I have plenty of info about her family, so I think she's just in the brick-wall category.

Once again - thanks for looking.

Judith