Author Topic: James Elliot 1888  (Read 7199 times)

Offline lucy1468

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Elliot 1888
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I am currently looking for a member of my family and the only way I can start is if I can find information on my mothers great grandpa

JAMES ELLIOT BORN 1888 DIED 1967 Dumfriesshire are
his wife  MARY McCormick UNKNOWN DOB AND YEAR OF DEATH ATM

I will add more information soon regarding their kids I hope someone can hopefully help me find some information.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Elliot 1888
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RootsChat  :)

The Scotlandspeople website has a death for a Mary Elliot(other surname McCormick) 1968 Kirkconnel
, Dumfries , birth year c1890

It looks like the 1967 death for James Elliot was also Kirkconnel , Dumfries.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
There is also a marriage James Elliot / Mary McCormick 1911 Kirkconnel , Dumfries.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lucy1468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you this helps if there any way I could try find their childrens names I have one William Elliot but not sure of a DOB but I do know he is deceast

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
The latest birth records available online at SP are 1913.

For more modern record searches MonicaL has kindly given this advice on previous posts -

As you are aware, this is a really hard period to research in as the records you need are not in the main available on line. Also, given that you are looking for descendants through the 20th Century it also difficult to do this through the main open forum of RootsChat as potentially people may still be alive which is contrary to RC's policy.

Unless someone recognises this family as their own and is able to contact you via the Private Messaging (PMs) service, it will be hard to progress this for you  :-\

Are you based in Scotland? If so, and near to Edinburgh or Glasgow, you could consider having a day or so at the dedicated Genealogy Centres there where you can view more modern BMDs on line (past the cut offs for viewing images through Scotlands People).

Monica  :)

ev

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you have this:

They married in Kirkconnel 16 June 1911
James was and underground worker in Pit, aged 22. Parents - William Elliot, coal miner and Mary, m.s. Holland
Mary Anderson McCormick was a domestic servant, aged 21. Her Parents were James McCormick, coal miner and Agnes, m.s. Anderson

Gadget

Added - missed your second post on marriage date, ev - I was  off looking for the marriage!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
The http://www.mundia.com/gb website has 2 people with this family.

If you sign up perhaps you could contact them for more information.

ev

Offline lucy1468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:35 GMT (UK) »
thank you ev do you have to pay for this site?

and gadget thank you I had some of that information its a start to my family tree it is not so easy for me to get to Glasgow or Edinburgh but we are actually looking for james elliots grandson who was born in 1934 he Is my grandmothers brother and recently her sister died and we were just looking out for peace of mind or closure for my grandmother I understand that there is only so much you can say or do online  if u could find any other information I would be very grateful as I have been trying myself and had not much luck

thanks lucy

Offline lucy1468

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I just checked that mindia website looks like I found the James Elliot and his son William just need to progress from there thanks again for your help guys x