Author Topic: Solomon Hart (throwing him out to the world ;)!  (Read 8605 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Hart (throwing him out to the world ;)!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 November 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
At least it gives you something to play with. There were more possibilities, but I was able to reject those myself.

Note: I’ve already checked 3x 10-year Amsterdam tables (1813-1842) for the deaths of Hartog, Salomon and (H)Anna Stuart, but so far nothing useful has turned up.

PS there could have been more than 3 children, so the rabbi story can still be true

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
My Jewish great great grandfather also.lived.in liverpool in 1900

His first names were Samuel Lazurus UK but on  USA naturalization document its Solomon Loser  and first record of him in Manchester was MEndel
I didn't think it was same person til found some Jewish records where he was MEndel.Leizer which led us back 2 further gengerations

Just goes to show  keep options open

Also he had a child who died and gave subsequent child same name ..so don't rule out that possibility  .

And his second wife had same surname as his first.

Looks like you have plentybof relatives to help get teeth into this one .

Good luck sorting it out .
Dna links may prove or disprove some of your theories
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - yes there are lot of us trying to get the bottom of him...some on here and a lot who aren't  ;D ;D

The European Jewish element of my DNA came up as 3% and 4% French, rest is English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh.

Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 November 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
@ rutht22000

I raised a query on a Dutch forum re the post 1818 Dutch whereabouts of Salomon Hartog Stuart (and his family). Up till now no one seems to have been able to find him, so he is still very much in the running for a possible emigration....

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 December 18 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I’ve got a few things that could be circumstantial, but are definitely worth being mentioned …

When you look at Solomon Hart’s signature on his 1839 marriage in Liverpool, it is obvious that his style is quite different from the other signatures on the page (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99DF-S4C?i=334&cat=552592 ). However, his writing style seems to be quite similar to his “maybe father” Hartog Salomon Stuart. I’d already given these links but - for example - here is the birth of Hanna Stuart again: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6114-2Q?i=46&cc=1576401&cat=109570 )

As 3 members of the Stuart family had disappeared after 1818, I’d been searching for all of them. Most of the Hanna(h)s born in Holland could be eliminated, but one caught my eye:
This Hannah was born some time around 1814 in Amsterdam and died in 1901 in Row/Rhu (Argyll and Bute, Scotland). At an early age Hannah had settled with her family in Glasgow where she married a Philip Asher. In the 1838 directory Philip Asher is a stationer and general agent, Mrs. P. Asher is a furrier and they are living at 5 King Street Glasgow. They had a few children with the first(?) one born on 16 Feb 1837 in Glasgow. His name was Asher Asher, an MD who became Secretary to the United Synagogue in London (is this the Rabbi connection?). I won’t elaborate on him as you can google him yourself.

According to an entry on findagrave this Hannah was born on 19 Jul 1815 (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159123820/hannah-asher ). This is not the same as Hannah Stuart’s DOB, but I would not rule out this Hannah (and Glasgow) just yet as her year of birth changes per census and because there is also the following:
- Only 47 Jews were living in Glasgow in the Government Census of 1831 and only 3 of these were born in  Holland (could these have been our 3 Dutch Stuarts?)
- Among the “LIST OF INTERMENTS IN THE JEWS' BURIAL PLACE AT THE ELAYON NECROPOLIS” (Glasgow): 7- 9-1840 Solomon Hart - age 54 years

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 December 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
What is the age difference between  solomon Hart  and his maybe father Harting solomon ?
Is there any chance they could actually be 1 person

I say this because my great great grandfather was a chameleon. .he first turned up in female coluse of census
In Manchester 1901

On the jewish records for for births of his children his names are inverted
And although he was b1850 in 1901 he was down as aged 36 so we thought he couldn't be father of the.30 year old living a few doOrs down.

I've just made breakthrough with joining some dots to his wife
The clues were in the children's names.including ones who'd died as babies .hunches that 1st sons and daughters would be named after their 4 grandparent.s turned out spot on !

I increased my tree and increased new matches
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 December 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »

Which Solomon Hart ... The one in Liverpool or the one who died in Glasgow?

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you TreeSpirit for looking deeper into this one - I am so grateful.  The Glasgow connection looks really feasible as does the Rabbi connection with a nephew rather than a brother, particularly as well know how mangled and embellished family stories get that have been picked up over the years.

It certain satisfies Scotland, Rabbi and if the mother was dead that could have been embellished to orphaned.   that too could well be Hanna; I don't place much faith in the birth dates as when they are given when someone dies they are only as reliable as the person who registers the death.

I will see if ScotlandsPeople assists particularly with that death 1840 for possibly Solomon Snr.  It make sense that if father and son came over together when the children were young that father might also anglicise himself as well. 

I had noticed the writing between Hanna's baptism and Solomon's marriage certificate in Liverpool - they are very similar.

I have googled Asher Asher and there is a photo online- and he does have what my mother described as 'Hart eyes and eyebrows'!!  - he does look like my great grandfather.

They did strike me as quite a well to do educated family and Solomon marrying out of the faith suggests that they could easily have disowned him.

Thank you again  :)
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »

Hannah's maiden name would be on my wish list, but I haven't been able to find an online marriage for her. You could try her death certificate as it might have some clues (although the index seems to indicate that her mother's name is not on it. Of course this could be a clue that her mother had died when Hannah was still quite young).

Keep me updated as I'd love to know whether this (at least 18 year old) brick wall has finally buckled.