Author Topic: Does anyone live near Dinton,Salisbury?  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone live near Dinton,Salisbury?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 07:53 GMT (UK) »
thanks Brionne

The Wiltshire OPC site is great. I must admit it is quite a while since I searched for anything using the OPC. I must check back on some of them for my elusive ancestors records.

The picture on the OPC for Pound cottage is really great. Looks like a big house to me, not a cottage ;D

The information on Jack Jukes has been very helpful. There is a small item in The Argus newspaper on 15th January,1935 that Jack Jukes died suddenly in Portland West where he had lived for 7 years.(Trove Newspapers web site)

Seems like they came out together, but we probably will never know why.

Noells
Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 March 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brionne

I have now confirmed that Sidney Pomeroy did not come to Oz as a "little brother" , at least that fits in with your suggestion that he came out with Jack Vincent Jukes.

Further searching out here has revealed a couple of Jukes families living in the Warrnambool area of Victoria. The woman Sidney Pomeroy married was living in Warrnambool when they met, so I am now searching to see if there might be a connection. As you found, Jack Vincent Jukes died in Portland West which is not far by Australian standards from Warrnambool.

I now have heaps of information on the Jukes family in England, but as yet haven't been able to connect them. One line of the family seems to have been wealthy and even had a street in Warrnambool named after them.
    History of Street Name:
Alfred Meredith Jukes (c.1822-1872) was the first Town Clerk of the Municipal Council from 1856 to 1857. In 1856 he was described as an attorney and solicitor. Born in London he arrived in Warrnambool in 1853. His son Charles Allan Jukes (1868-1934) established the Floral Farm in East Warrnambool, now the location of Floral Place and was a Warrnambool Councillor 1917-1920.

thanks again for you assistance

Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 March 14 07:16 GMT (UK) »
So pleased this is coming together.
My interest in your initial query is that my Henry West 1819-1890,South Newton/Wishford, Wilton Wilts,married a Maria Pomroy 1822-1868,at Wishford.Wilts.
My line is this guys brother William,both were sons of Lazarus West,large family.
Have not done any research on Maria yet,but possibly one of yours.

As regards the Alfred Jukes,another connection is that I believe the Alfred Jukes age 43,with the family 1911 Dinton was an Army Pensioner,b Dinton 1868,was Alfred Herbert Jukes.
There is a Boar War record which may be him,[not yet proved]in Royal Engineers.
Well,my Gdfather John MacPherson was married at Wilton 1899,having been in the Royal Engineers for 12 years,from a boy.He married an Elizabeth Matilda West.
My crowd lived at Riverside Wilton,,,,John [Jack]then worked as a joiner, after his marriage, for the Wilton Estate[Earl of Pembroke]he later built houses in Portsmouth and died there in 1943.
George Jukes father of Jack who went to Aus also died in the Southampton area 1970.
Still looking at overall picture,
Brionne.

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GLOBALS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
i LIVE NEXT DOOR TO POUND COTTAGE AND THERE IS STILL POMEROYS IN DINTON.

Offline NathanWest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 18 02:00 BST (UK) »
So pleased this is coming together.
My interest in your initial query is that my Henry West 1819-1890,South Newton/Wishford, Wilton Wilts,married a Maria Pomroy 1822-1868,at Wishford.Wilts.
My line is this guys brother William,both were sons of Lazarus West,large family.
Have not done any research on Maria yet,but possibly one of yours.

As regards the Alfred Jukes,another connection is that I believe the Alfred Jukes age 43,with the family 1911 Dinton was an Army Pensioner,b Dinton 1868,was Alfred Herbert Jukes.
There is a Boar War record which may be him,[not yet proved]in Royal Engineers.
Well,my Gdfather John MacPherson was married at Wilton 1899,having been in the Royal Engineers for 12 years,from a boy.He married an Elizabeth Matilda West.
My crowd lived at Riverside Wilton,,,,John [Jack]then worked as a joiner, after his marriage, for the Wilton Estate[Earl of Pembroke]he later built houses in Portsmouth and died there in 1943.
George Jukes father of Jack who went to Aus also died in the Southampton area 1970.
Still looking at overall picture,
Brionne.

Hi Brionne, I fear I'm a tad late to this discussion, but this had tweaked my interest. You say you're a relative of William West from South Newton? - I'm a direct descendant of the West line through his other brother, Simon.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Nathan,Welcome to RootsChat.
You will need to make at least 3 posts before you can send a Personal Message.
Would be interested to know your connection to Simon West and South Newton.
Have not looked at this post for ages and lost my original notes.
Make a couple of posts and you can PM me.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NathanWest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 August 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the kind welcome Brionne. I stumbled on this thread through sheer luck having only started researching my family the last year or so.

This'll be my third post in the community, presumably allowing me to send PMs now.