Author Topic: Blackburn Plumb missing birth  (Read 2232 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Blackburn Plumb missing birth
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a Blackburn Plumb married an Ann Whitehead 10 Nov 1754 at Halford Warwickshire and had 11 children between 1755 and 1775. Blackburn buried 7 Jan 1809 at Longdon.
I have managed to find all this but not his birth which I think was about 1720. Can anyone find him, I am wondering if he could have been born later looking at the dates? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackburn Plumb missing birth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon
Looking at the marriage it says he is from Eatington /Ealington and she is from Halford .They are married by licence by the consent of her widowed mother Anne White,so she is under age .Witnesses John Plumb and Thomas Smith.They all signed.
I did have a quick look at Ettington which I presume is the parish refferred to and I can't spot him but then the register has not survived well and some pages are very difficult to read.
There's a Will for 1809 for a Blackburn Plumb which may be your man.If you haven't got it it may describe some property elswhere which may help.(on Ancestry).
Ciderdrinker

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker
                              I do know the early registers for Ettington are in a poor state, very few people seem to have the early years they seem to be missing on Ancestry 1700 to 1813 missing, FindMyPast and the IGI. With regard to the Will I do have a copy and it helped a great deal with his family but no leads to his parents. One question which copy of the register did you use?( If you don't mind telling me).

Thanks again,  Steve
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 14 10:45 GMT (UK) »
No I don't mind saying Steve.
I did the one on Ancestry as I don't live too near Warwick record office.
Ciderdrinker

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 14 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker

I have access to Ancestry and also FindMyPast

Steve
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I've also checked Ettington PR's at Warwick CRO and not come across a Blackbourn.

There are several PLUMB births in Halford, Alveston and Kineton as well as Ettington between 1710 - 1730, these villages are all quite close to each other so it may be worth checking further in those places too if you haven't already.

I also had a quick look on Ancestry and found a Blackbourn Wareing born 1720 in Tidmington (which is about 20 or so miles away I think), I know it's a long shot but with such an unusual first name it might be worth ruling out in case of the mothers remarriage or something??

Dee.x
Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern
Williams - Scotland (Glasgow)
Josephs - Jamaica (Spanish Town)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the trouble to look, I'll have a look into the possibility of a remarriage.

Thanks again   Steve
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

It's no trouble, I have a Plumb who married into my Allibones who I think may be connected to this line so I thought I'd look into her as a distraction while I think around a huge brick wall.

I read somewhere (and frustratingly I can't remember where now, sorry!) that there may be a gypsy connection to this family. It may be nothing but there is mention of the Plumb name in a couple of gypsy family history publications, one of which includes the South Midlands;

http://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/gypsy-families/

Look for Clayton & Booth and Elliot.

Dee.x
Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern
Williams - Scotland (Glasgow)
Josephs - Jamaica (Spanish Town)

Offline rachelharvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I can not find Blackburn's birth either however I do have something that may help, although a bit weak.  Blackburn is my partners 6th G Grandfather. He also has another marriage connection with another set of Plumbs in the mid 1800's an Elizabeth Plumb, Although they come from the exact same  area no immediate connection with the first family was found at that time.  My partner did a DNA test with Ancestry.com (not for this reason but it plays a part in this) and he got lots of matches one with a member who has an Elizabeth Plumb in his tree a member of the Plumbs who he is married into and where no DNA should match up, also a lot closer than the DNA indicates. which predicts 5th to 8th cousins so pretty far off.  Anyway this sparks of interest and I start looking up Elizabeth Plumbs tree. when we get back to Blackburn's age and birth around 1725 +/- I find a John Plumb who marries Ann Jones in Ettington Warwickshire residing in Alverston Warwickshire  in 1742. There is a John Plumb in Blackburn's marriage records is it too far a jump? bearing in mind the DNA connection and that brothers/sisters are often the ones to witness each others weddings and the fact that this would make the person with the DNA connection with my partner 7th cousins exactly what the DNA predicted. would this be proof enough make John Plumb and Blackburn Plumb brothers.  I also believe Anne White to have been born in 1734 to a John White and Anne Halford. John dies before his daughters marriage leaving Anne a Widow and Anne her daughter 20 years old at her marriage and not yet 21 years a full adult. And also because it is a couple of years before she has her first child this is not because she is pregnant but to fit in with seasons and work before her next birthday and she holds having children to make this point to her community giving out what type of person she is. This is a theory I am working on John's records may have been ruined also he must be Blackburn's elder Brother to have married in 1742. There is a John born in 1718 but there are a couple others  also the possibility that that is wrong and hisbirth records are destroyed also .  Food for thought anyway  Rachel