Author Topic: Betts family  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Patannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Betts family
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Listers. I have come to a brickwall with my research on the Betts family of Buckinghamshire. I have James Betts baptised in 1825 in Langley Marish with parents James and Sarah. Marriage found between James Betts and Sarah Thorn in same parish in 1823. Also a baptism for a James Betts in 1804 with parents James and Sarah. in Little Horwood. This is as far as I can get. I cannot locate a marriage bwteen a James Betts and a Sarah in the 1800s era. This may ofcourse not have been in Bucks but a nearby county. I am hoping to visit the Records Office in Aylesbury in June but need to pinpoint this marriage before if possible. Can anyone help or guide me in right direction. Many thanks
Chandler, Cullen, and Wall families of Woodnesborough, Sandwich, Ash Next Sandwich, Richborough and Ramsgate areas of Kent.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Betts family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patannie,

Did James and Sarah Betts (married 1823) survive to appear on any censuses? Does James actually give Little Horwood as his birthplace? It just seems rather a long way from Langley Marish - about 50 miles.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Patannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Further to my Betts family enquiry. The only James Betts that appears on the 1851 census was born 1804 and states birthplace as Little Horwood. However the name of his wife is Mary. Sarah could have died and James remarried but no marriage found so far.  My side of the family descends from another James Betts born 1825, who married Susan Searle in Berkshire, On census he puts his birthplace as Langley so this fits with the James and Sarah married in 1823. I did not realize that Little Horwood was so far from Langley so will have a look over the border in Berkshire as well.
Chandler, Cullen, and Wall families of Woodnesborough, Sandwich, Ash Next Sandwich, Richborough and Ramsgate areas of Kent.

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
The James BETTS who was baptised 1804 in Little Horwood married Mary TURNER on 6 Nov 1826 at Stoke Hammond, Bucks.  According to the 1851 census they have children born in Stoke Hammond and Water Eaton, Bucks at about the same time as James and Sarah BETTS have children born in Langley Marish so he is obviously not the same James BETTS.

I think that Sarah THORN, who married James BETTS at Langley in 1823, was baptised at Fulmer, Bucks in 1793 the daughter of William and Elizabeth THORN.  In 1798 William THORN was living in Langley aqnd this could be why his daughter married there.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I did not realize that Little Horwood was so far from Langley so will have a look over the border in Berkshire as well.

There are also quite a few Middlesex parishes within 10 miles of Langley.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.