Author Topic: I've hit a dead end. Help!  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've hit a dead end. Help!
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschat.

I am new to the forum but have done a couple of weeks searching my tree on Ancestry.
I have a date of birth for my great great grandfather, he was born in 1829 in Paddington according to the 1841 census. His name was Alfred Windeler.
In that census he was at 'Church Fields Academy' in Greenwich, aged 12.
Unfortunately I can't find any other info' prior to the census, like parents, birth, etc.
I can't find any info' about the academy either but I am looking into that.
Does anyone know if birth records would exist for Paddington at that time and if so, how do I proceed from here.

Many thanks. Les.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I've hit a dead end. Help!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello & welcome to rootschat  :)

The surname sounds a little german [though obviously would have been entered phoneticallyso could have been Windle, Windale etc], so perhaps he was NOT actually born in Paddington. Institutions did not always know the places of birth of their 'inmates' or the child themselves did not know exactly. Doesn't mean to say the combined might of rootschatters won't find him for you though.

There might be baptism records for Paddington churches on various websites - it looks as though you have already tried ancestry?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat.

Is he the Alfred Windeler who moved to Lancashire? If so he appears in later censuses with his wife Sarah Jane and gives his as birth Paddington. Another way to find his father would be to find his marriage to Sarah Jane and hope that the certificate gives his father's name. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »

I can't find any info' about the academy either but I am looking into that.

Welcome to RootsChat.
The Academy could be The Green Coat School, endowed in 1672, for the maintenance, clothing and instruction of 20 poor boys, was situated in Church Fields Greenwich, "Greenwich; its history, antiquities, improvements, and public buildings 1834"  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y95/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
A posting here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y96/
suggests the archives of The Green Coat School may be kept by The Draper's Company & gives a website address. Stan's link shows that 'the management of the school is vested in The Draper's Company' in 1834.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help so far folks, a wonderful response.

Yes, the name is German, from the Niedersachsen area. Possibly Bremen.
Alfred did indeed move up north to Chorlton Manchester and married Sarah Jane Chorley. I will continue to look for more info' on their marriage.
Interesting comment about the Drapers company as one of the Windeler's was a Tailor/Draper in London.

Onwards and upwards.

Many thanks. Les.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi Les,

I've had a look for a Baptismal entry for your Alfred on the FindMyPast Site, - but nothing that seems to fit... Likewise on the LDS Site. (The LDS Site has his Birth as Paddington, 1830).

Your best bet is per Groom's suggestion, - & to obtain the Marriage Cert, which should give his Father's name and Occupation.

Best of luck, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly.

I seem to be going round in circles trying to find a marriage certificate but will keep at it.

Regards. Les.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - Alfred and Sarah Jane do a fair amount of wandering around the country.  ;D

1851 - Alfred is in Manchester, a boarder - 21 and unmarried - I haven't looked for Sarah Jane Chorley.
1861 - Alfred and Sarah J, plus James (2) are in Cornwall - James born Newcastle on Tyne - registered Newcastle T,10b, page 67 in March quarter 1859

As I cannot see any marriage in FreeBMD between 1851 and 1861 in England and Wales - could they have married in Scotland?  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY