Author Topic: I've hit a dead end. Help!  (Read 5920 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: I've hit a dead end. Help!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 March 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was a long shot ;D but at least it can be discounted.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 March 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Les Have you noticed in 1891 that Alfred and Sarah J appear to be living apart although within a few doors of each other?  Sarah is with daughter Kate Ingram and Alfred ( Windle ) is a boarder a few doors away ( on the same page )
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 March 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks jaywit.

No, I hadn't noticed that, although they did have a son also named Alfred.
I will have a look.

Regards. Les.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
What you've got isn't a dead end, yet. You've a lot to check up and around, some good help from people here, and good material to work with. You seem to have got a long way if you've only been working on it a few weeks, especially.
 I took a couple of years to work back to a very similar sounding dead end, in 1860s - and I've never broken past it in the last 5 or so years. You will probably get through yours.
Follow up those leads you've been given, you'll be amazed where they take you. Look for brothers and sisters of your main quarry at each generation, and trace them back too - it's amazing how one will provide one detail, another will give you another snippet of information, put them together carefully - and CROSS CHECK always before accepting things as gospel.
 Early on I let an "of course this must be the one..." lead me up a blind alley, until information garnered that way made me look at that person again, and - no, he was a cousin of "my" man.

And don't believe what you may see on trees available on Anc*stry!! There are some lovely howlers on ones that I've seen linked to some of my people - people marrying before they were born, producing children from 18 right through to 67 - including several who lived through to adulthood apparently with the same first names(!) popping up with a different wife, age, birthplace and job in a totally different area of the country in one census only, then resuming their previous identity - and all recorded as "Fact"!
You're in the early stages of what I assure you everyone on here will tell you is a fascinating, absorbing interest, in the course of which you will learn a great deal about more than your family tree. Happy hunting!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Excellent advice  ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, very well put & supportive. I would add that it's important to keep a secure note of the reference for each item of information.

And yes, many of us have probably made the same mistake, I certainly have.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of the kind words and advice.

I will definitely persevere.

I usually only get Sundays to do research as I am fully occupied renovating an 800 year old place that I own in France. Oddly enough, I have the family tree of the previous owners going back those 800 years with one family owning it for 500 years. Amazing.

Best wishes. Les.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, then, that tree gives you something to aim for! You could always see if it checks out without any "fairytales" in there, too, if you feel short of fun things to do when you get "restorer's cramp". Seriously, you'll get the best help possible from kind people on this site.
When you feel your head is about to bang itself on  wall - put it to people here. they (almost) never fail to sort you out, without making you feel too dim - even when you realise you have been! Keep working on it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Corbeliere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 09 March 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Les Have you noticed in 1891 that Alfred and Sarah J appear to be living apart although within a few doors of each other?  Sarah is with daughter Kate Ingram and Alfred ( Windle ) is a boarder a few doors away ( on the same page )

Hi jaywit.

I have had a look at that and found that it is Alfred the son who is boarding.
I don't know what happened to the Alfred, Sarah's husband, in the 1891 Census as I have his death as Jan 1893.
More searching then.

Regards. Les.