Author Topic: COMMONS [CUMMINGS]  (Read 7808 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMMONS [CUMMINGS]
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked through the Irish parish registers and sadly there is no record of the birth of William Cummings/Commons, nor for Anastasia Goff/Gough. Also, there is no marriage record for the two of them either. The time period that you are looking for has very few records that have survived. Kim

Offline Sue Lapointe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 July 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie-France, wish to know your information source for the dates and names. Looking for same family. Thanks.

The source for this information is from the Havre-Aubert registers and my book, Dictionnaire généalogique des familles des Iles-de-la-Madeleine (published in 2001, Quebec City).  Incidentally, I recently learned that Sophie was not a widow, but actually left her first husband to live with William Cummings.  They subsequently married (or had their union blessed) in 1814 at the Islands (a Catholic marriage ceremony without an annulment from her first marriage or dispensation), all while her first husband was still alive and living in Nova Scotia.  Too bad there are not more details to explain all this.  Dennis Boudreau

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked through the Irish parish registers and sadly there is no record of the birth of William Cummings/Commons, nor for Anastasia Goff/Gough. Also, there is no marriage record for the two of them either. The time period that you are looking for has very few records that have survived. Kim

Thanks, Kim.  Appreciate your help even if you found nothing.

Dennis

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 July 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
Denby,
Its very hard to find information for those dates in Ireland, even knowing Wexford is not a great help you really need a Townland or Parish. Very few parish registers include those dates, most start somewhat later, but some do include late 1700's.
I have 'Cummins' in my tree, not too far off the name and William was a very commonly used family name by that Family. They were from Ballymurn, Co Wexford but that does not mean anything and even though I know the area I have only been able to get to a possible birth 1776 from a gravestone.
 I think you will find Cummins a common name in the south of the County Wexford too. As for Goff/Gough I have not come across that name in the area at all.
Sorry but with that information I think its unlikely that you will trace them.
M

Thanks nonetheless,
Dennis

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
I too have Cummins, allegedly - from later English Census records, from Wexford, and they are simply impossible to untangle or trace. Good luck, you'll need it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Marc-Andre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 May 18 02:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this will help. It's the story of André Cummings from my grandmother's book about Sept Iles families. It references William and Anastasiaso I translated the text for you denby and there's a citation from Marielle Grenier a descendent who might know something. It's a long shot and overall maybe of more interest to Marie-France. Good luck.

André Cummings
1874-1953 - Arrived to Sept-Iles QC,1908
Origin: Pointe aux Esquimaux

The Cummings are of Scottish descent. The first Cummings to arrive on the Madelaine Islands QC was William, son of William Cummings & Anastasia Goff. William was born in Wexford County Ireland. He married Sophia Paine (Payne or Penn) of Royal descendance in Sydney Nova Scotia, 1804. André Cummings is a 5th generation descendant of William Cummings. (There's a citation here in the book, it reads: According to Marielle Grenier, descendant of the Cummings and Boudreau family. M.(2001) Op. cit., Tome IV

And the text continues:
André Cummings, son of Magloire and Eugénie Cyr, was born November the 8th, 1874 in Pointe-aux-Esquimaux. He first travelled to Sept-Iles QC in 1903 and later returned for good in 1908.

On September 15th, 1903 in Natashquan QC, he married Marie Alcima Bourque (Alice), daughter of Joseph-Alcide and Christine L’Oiseau.

Of this union came:

-Alphonsine, born Sept 22nd, 1906. Married Lauréat Arseneault, Oct 8th, 1924, Sept-Iles
-Marie Anne Eugénie, born July 2nd, 1910, Sept-Iles. Sadly Marie Anne Eugénie passed 2 yers later in 1912.
-Georgette Christine, born Aug 12th, 1913. Married Laval Dorion on Jan 4th, 1940 in Quebec City
-Bernadette Evelyne, born June 1st, 1917. Married Roger Bélanger on June 23rd, 1968.
-Claude Roland, born April 11th, 1924. Claude also sadly passed on Sept 3rd, 1925.
-Cora Évangéline, born Feb 20th, 1926. Married Jacques Lapointe on Sept the 5th, 1953 in Sept-Iles.
-Marie Velda Yolande, born sept 3rd, 1927. Married Axel Anderson on Dec 29th, 1953 in Sept-Iles.
-Henri (Harry), adopted child, born march 8th, 1921. Married Lydia Bélanger on Sept 25th, 1954 in Sept iles.

At the outset, André Cummings worked at the whale oil extraction plant and later moved-on to the Clarke City Factory. To support his family however, André relied on transporting merchandise from between their arrival at the docks to the stores for the Hudson Bay Co. He also milled and sold wood to local natives.

His wife Alice was a well known seamstress who confectioned custom coats, pants and other clothes. She designed her own patterns. She was also very much appreciated for the cakes she baked for the local natives.

André’s brother Charles, born 1880 came to Sept-Iles in 1911. He married Marie Josephine Bujold, daughter of Joseph (Alexandre Sandy).

André passed on August 27th, 1953 in Sept-Iles at the age of 79.

Offline Marc-Andre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 May 18 02:42 BST (UK) »
I also found this:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cummings-3973

Biography
Born in Ireland around 1772, William Cummings was a laborer in Nova Scotia who later moved to the Îles de la Madeleine, Quebec, Canada. His first two children, born in Nova Scotia, were baptized by Bishop Joseph-Octave Plessis in June of 1811. [1]

The 1831 Census of Lower Canada lists William Cummings, a fisherman, living in Gaspe, Iles-de-la-Madeleine, Canada. A total of 6 people lived in his household. [2]