Author Topic: Gray Family - Obley NSW  (Read 12517 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Gray Family - Obley NSW
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 March 14 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a transcript or a copy of the Baptism of a Jane GRAHAM, listed at NSW BDM as 1845, with parents as James and Harriet?  Likely she had an older brother names John J, baptised 1843.

NSW BDM references:
V1845 3047  30A/1845 (Volume 30A is Church of England) Baptism for Jane
V1843 2635  27A/1843 (Volume 37A is Church of England) Baptism for John

This may be Jane's birth date and then his baptism at Gloucester, NSW
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCK-7JF 

This may be John J's birth date and then his baptism at Gloucester, NSW   (John J being John James)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCN-HK3

ADD
NSW ER 1870 THE BOGAN,

Molong Police District
Robert GREY (with an ‘e’) of Tinby, residence Buckinbah. 

Forbes Police District
William GRAHAM, of Currajong, residence, Currajong

Grevilles 1875 PO Directory

Wellington : John GRAY, farmer, Mitchell Creek
Dubbo : John GRAHAME (‘e’) grazier, Dillederry

Further ADD
http://www.family.joint.net.au/index.php?mid=1&cid=11
GREVILLES 1872 for OBLEY includes :
GRAHAM J.stockman Dirribong, Bogan River
GRAHAM John farmer Obley
GRAY Robert labourer Buckenbah
HARPER David superintendent Gunanagei
HARPER William storekeeper Bogan River

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 March 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a transcript or a copy of the Baptism of a Jane GRAHAM, listed at NSW BDM as 1845, with parents as James and Harriet?  Likely she had an older brother names John J, baptised 1843.

NSW BDM references:
V1845 3047  30A/1845 (Volume 30A is Church of England) Baptism for Jane
V1843 2635  27A/1843 (Volume 37A is Church of England) Baptism for John

This may be Jane's birth date and then his baptism at Gloucester, NSW
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCK-7JF 

This may be John J's birth date and then his baptism at Gloucester, NSW   (John J being John James)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCN-HK3

ADD
NSW ER 1870 THE BOGAN,

Molong Police District
Robert GREY (with an ‘e’) of Tinby, residence Buckinbah. 

Forbes Police District
William GRAHAM, of Currajong, residence, Currajong

Grevilles 1875 PO Directory

Wellington : John GRAY, farmer, Mitchell Creek
Dubbo : John GRAHAME (‘e’) grazier, Dillederry

Further ADD
http://www.family.joint.net.au/index.php?mid=1&cid=11
GREVILLES 1872 for OBLEY includes :
GRAHAM J.stockman Dirribong, Bogan River
GRAHAM John farmer Obley
GRAY Robert labourer Buckenbah
HARPER David superintendent Gunanagei
HARPER William storekeeper Bogan River

Cheers,  JM

Thanks.  On your list there is Robert Gray my GG Grandfather.  Under his name there is David Harper, who as one of the witnesses at his wedding long with a John Harper which I had not noticed to your pointed him out on that list.  Also present on your list were 2x Graham's who could have been Jane's father...  unproven by a far mile or two

The title superintendent when applied to David Harper seems to refer to the fact that David Harper was Manager of Gunanagei station. 

Robert Grey is my GG Grandfather because Tinby Station is listed as residence at the time of Daniel's birth in 1871.  At the time of his death, his surname is again spelt GREY, the only two occassions I have found so far.

As to the Graham finds at the start of your post, I have not investigated this to date.

Regards
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 March 14 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Re Jane GRAHAM, baptism 1845... I think this would be worth investigating .... it is the right year  :) and the right name  :) ....... and there have been flaws in transcribed records before  :) so Gloucester may be questioned.....  Alternatively, it is possible the circuit clergy may have been based in the Gloucester area (I am wondering if perhaps Australian Agricultural Co's clergyman may have taken a circuit out across say via what is now say Muswellbrook and across say to Gulgong, baptising and marrying along the way  :)   If so, then his parish registers may well record Gloucester Flats for his main location.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Re Jane GRAHAM, baptism 1845... I think this would be worth investigating .... it is the right year  :) and the right name  :) ....... and there have been flaws in transcribed records before  :) so Gloucester may be questioned.....  Alternatively, it is possible the circuit clergy may have been based in the Gloucester area (I am wondering if perhaps Australian Agricultural Co's clergyman may have taken a circuit out across say via what is now say Muswellbrook and across say to Gulgong, baptising and marrying along the way  :)   If so, then his parish registers may well record Gloucester Flats for his main location.

Cheers,  JM

I can rule out the Graham family from Gloucester with the details contained in this link:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/81044360

Jane never married.
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline steven waibel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 June 14 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hey mate...daniel grey who died in 1939 was the father of ellenore mary grey. Ellenore was the mother of Frederick John stein who is my grand father. Im  chasing some information on the greys as well and would love to talk with you your reply will be much appreciated thank you

Offline JillH1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My grandmother was Ada Jessie Gray.  She married Arthur John White on 25 October 1893.  Her father was Robert Gray, labourer of Glenrock or more likely Glenlock (it looks like Glenrock written on the marriage certificate) near Obley and her mother was Jeannie on the marriage certificate.  They were married in the house of Mr Robert Gray.  And I believe the photograph you refer to is most likely this wedding.

On the death certificate of Ada Jessie it is stated that her mother's name was Sarah Sinclair not Jeannie so a little confusion there.  Also Sinclair?

So is this Robert Gray the one male child (1861) to Robert Gray and Jane Sinfield? The years don't seem to add up.  If Robert was born in 1861 and had a daughter old enough to marry in 1893?  He would only have been 32 years of age himself.  Or is this the elder Robert Gray who you say was born in London in 1839 which would make him 59 years of age in 1893 when this marriage took place.  However I have been unable to find any record of the birth of a daughter Ada Jessie to either Robert Gray.

On the birth certificate of her third child in 1899 Ada Jessie White (Gray) informs her birth place as Bogan River and her age as 24 therefore she would have been 17 or 18 when she married Arthur John White.

Well we are definitely related.  Which child of Robert Gray and Jane Graham Sinfield is your great grandparent?

Hope you can shed a bit more light on this.  In the meantime I will try and dig some more

Cheers,

Jill Hargraves (nee White)

Offline wdlocky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 May 20 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just stumbled across this post whilst doing my husband's family history.  We have been stuck on his great, great, grandmother, Ada Jane Gray.

On her Qld marriage certificate in 1909 (she was age 22), we know that shew as born in about 1887 in Dubbo, NSW and it states her parents were John William Gray (Labourer) and Johanna Stanley.  But we have been unable to find any birth details for her (brn about 1887).

I am wondering if this is the same Gray family?  She was a domestic servant on a station in Longreach and married a roustabout there (a day after their son was born).

The older members of my husband's family never spoke about this lady (they were divorced in 1929 and their two children placed in an orphanage early on), but it was rumoured that she was of aboriginal descent.  My father-in-law always believed that she was Aboriginal but never asked his father so doesn't know.

Your earlier notes say that the Gray family you are talking about were of Aboriginal descent, that is why I am wondering if this is the same family. 

I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone here will read it and may have some answers for me.
Thanks
Deb

Offline JillH1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 May 20 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb, sorry no this is not the same Ada Gray that you are looking for.  Her name is Ada Jessie Gray and lived all her life in the Dubbo/Obley/Peak Hill area of NSW.

Her parents were Robert Gray and Jane Graham Sinfield.

Sorry cannot help.

Jill Hargraves

Offline wdlocky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb, sorry no this is not the same Ada Gray that you are looking for.  Her name is Ada Jessie Gray and lived all her life in the Dubbo/Obley/Peak Hill area of NSW.

Her parents were Robert Gray and Jane Graham Sinfield.

Sorry cannot help.

Jill Hargraves

Thanks